North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. A great site here, I came across it on Google. I'm a student at Ohio State and have only been hunting geese for two years. I've only hunted early season. Are the migratories just as easy to hunt the first few days? Will geese use cut soybeans fields? How many doz makes for a good spread? Will it be better to use more or less on the migratories? I currently have 3.5 dozen dekes, (I know I need more) 2 standard carry-lite shells, .5 doz. mag carry-lites, .5 doz. super mag carry-lite and .5 doz Avery standard size shells. The articles I've read say to get full bodies. I would love to do that but one concern I have is getting them from the truck to the field. The full bodies that is. I am looking at the Gooseview blind and can sled some of them out but what about a lot of dekes? More then one trip? Does anyone have a suggestion for transporting them, other than 4 wheeler or driving the truck in the field? When asking this I also have a question on the Gooseview Destroyer. I am 99% certain that I'm buying it before the migratory season starts up. The only question I have is, will my face be covered up or will I need a facemask. I haven't been able to find a good picture online of what I'm looking for. Also I have a Big River flute and I just got a H.S. Slammer short reed that I want to be confident enough with to use in Nov. The only problem is I can't do anything other than make a high-pitched screech. I used the tape that came with it and it helped me with the Big River call, so I can make more than the one I knew before. The box says the slammer is hand tuned but I think I have to adjust the reed myself. What does anyone else think? How is the snow goose hunting in the spring there? My brother and I want to take a trip up that way before real life starts making it harderon us. That;s all the questions I have for now. I really appreciate all the help in answering any/all of these questions. After reading all kinds of threads I felt that I could ask all of you experts who have all kinds of experience waterfowling. Thanks again for helping out a kid who appreciate all the help and will take any tips you guy can supply.
Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey man good to see ya here! I dont hunt in your area, but I am pretty sure that the early season birds are easier to fool and easier to hunt rather than the birds later in the season which are being shot at more.

Im not sure on the soybean field stuff sorry bout that.

With the goose decoy stuff, Maybe after the season is done, try to get yourself some money, and try to sell maybe 2 doz. of your shells, and use that money for some fullbodies. A couple dozen fullbodies I believe is better than 4 or 5 dozen shells or silos. :D

Anyways, if you want some more help to your questions you can email me, [email protected].

Thanks and good luck with your hunting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
williams.1753 said:
Hello all. A great site here, I came across it on Google. I'm a student at Ohio State and have only been hunting geese for two years. I've only hunted early season. Are the migratories just as easy to hunt the first few days? That depends on them Will geese use cut soybeans fields? I've never seen them in soy, but this is WI. How many doz makes for a good spread? The more the better. Will it be better to use more or less on the migratories? More is usually better sometimes if not most often. I currently have 3.5 dozen dekes, (I know I need more) 2 standard carry-lite shells, .5 doz. mag carry-lites, .5 doz. super mag carry-lite and .5 doz Avery standard size shells. Great! That's fine to start with, and about all I carry when alone. The articles I've read say to get full bodies. Harder to carry, but work great. I would love to do that but one concern I have is getting them from the truck to the field. Make an indian sled, sorta like a stretcher. The full bodies that is. I am looking at the Gooseview blind and can sled some of them out but what about a lot of dekes? More then one trip? Does anyone have a suggestion for transporting them, other than 4 wheeler or driving the truck in the field? Hunting buddies and decoy bags. When asking this I also have a question on the Gooseview Destroyer. I am 99% certain that I'm buying it before the migratory season starts up. The only question I have is, will my face be covered up or will I need a facemask. I haven't been able to find a good picture online of what I'm looking for. look in the bowhunting section of a good sporting goods place. A blind is nice, but $200 will buy a lot of dekes.Also I have a Big River flute and I just got a H.S. Slammer short reed that I want to be confident enough with to use in Nov. The only problem is I can't do anything other than make a high-pitched screech. I used the tape that came with it and it helped me with the Big River call, so I can make more than the one I knew before. The box says the slammer is hand tuned but I think I have to adjust the reed myself. What does anyone else think?Leave the high pitched screech at home haha. Don't call too much at first, and learn from live geese in the park. How is the snow goose hunting in the spring there? My brother and I want to take a trip up that way before real life starts making it harderon us. That;s all the questions I have for now. I really appreciate all the help in answering any/all of these questions. After reading all kinds of threads I felt that I could ask all of you experts who have all kinds of experience waterfowling. Thanks again for helping out a kid who appreciate all the help and will take any tips you guy can supply.
Thanks,
Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts