North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been getting ALOT of heat because of the land laws up here and hunting....The land laws with hunting is if its not posted it can be hunted....People are saying its not right, its unethical, its not repectful to hunt someones land if you dont have permission....I ask when I can. If the landowner doesnt live around there and its not posted I will hunt with out going to great extents to find out who owns it to get permission.....Im sure this is a common thing when you can hunt unposted land legally....I am I wrong am I a bad guy because of this?

· Registered
4,642 Posts
:soapbox: That would be the Posse Forum? Just kidding, you're good to go.

· Registered
805 Posts
There are landowners that dont want to be bothered with phonecalls, people in and out of their yard etc,,,,,so they dont post their land. The self righteous that say you need to get permission no matter what are wrong.

· Registered
2,850 Posts
There are several types of people that post thier land....

Those that want to save it for themselves or friends

Those that have had bad experiences with people on thier land

Those that just want to know who is out there

As there are several types of people that don't post thier land.....

Those that don't care

Those that don't want to be bothered

Those that don't feel it is worth the effort

· Registered
1,932 Posts
dakotashooter2 said:
There are several types of people that post thier land....

Those that want to save it for themselves or friends

Those that have had bad experiences with people on thier land

Those that just want to know who is out there

As there are several types of people that don't post thier land.....

Those that don't care

Those that don't want to be bothered

Those that don't feel it is worth the effort
There are also the guys who don't post their land but come and chew your *** when you are LEGALLY hunting it. That kinda puts me in a fowl mood. If you don't want people to hunt your land, post it. No need to be rude when there is no wrong doing.

Because of the unfortanate incident mentioned above (it has happened more than once), I usually try to get permission if hunting in an unfamiliar area. Do I always talk to the landowner? No. Do I think it is unethical to hunt if I don't make contact? Nope.

· Registered
338 Posts
There are also the guys who don't post their land but come and chew your a$$ when you are LEGALLY hunting it.
That is true also, some landowners don't agree with the regulation and are fighting to get it changed. Hopefully this doesn't happen. It doesn't seem like it would be too big of a hassle to post your land once a year.
It is perfectly fine as long as your positive there are no signs in the area. A lot of people that farm think wildlife are more of a hinderance to them then anything, causing crop damage and loss of profit. They are happy to see responsible hunters out there.

· Registered
18 Posts
Try not to sweat it.

I always make an attempt to find the owner and make a call if I want to spend some time hunting it.

If it is just a quick jump shoot on non-posted land I just have at it. It is legal and traditionally accepted way to hunt in ND.

However, where I currently hunt I would say over 90% of the land is posted. I get permission about 50% of the time I ask.

· Registered
2 Posts
Just don't come down here to Tx and try it here if its not your land its posted, if you get caught on someone elses land you stll have to have a letter from the land owner giving you permission. I've stopped at houses to ask permission and was told to get off their land or theyll have me arrested.

· Registered
480 Posts
On this topic if I want to hunt land that is not mine I will drive around it once maybe twice to make sure there is not a posted sign. What I really dislike is the posted signs that are up but are really old and faded. THose ones can really put you in a bad spot. But the law does stat that if it is not signed and dated correctly it is not posted. I still don't hunt it just because I don't want to get hasseld.

· Registered
31 Posts
Old and faded? If it's still legible, it is legally posted. (If it's so old it's illegible, you prolly can be OK with hunting it as if it's not posted ... mebbe so ... mebbe no ... )

Named and dated? Named, yes. Dated, no. Dating a sign is not a requirement to be "legally" posted. HOWever, if it is dated, and the date is 10 years old ... it is STILL legally posted ... tho I doubt any but a metal sign would last that long ... I've seen some landowners' signs in the last few years that appear to be quite durable, and their name is on it, and no date, and they are legally posted ... and will prolly last 10 or more years, unless some brainless Nimrod-wannabe shoots it full of holes ...

And ... good on y'all, fargojohnson, for bein' so cautious/conscientious about seeking permission ... as someone sorta said here ... it's easier to get permission than it is to fight the hassles of making a mistake about the landowners' intentions ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.