North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We traveled to the Lake Region for some pre-hunt scouting over the weekend. Looks like lots of local dabblers but water levels are dwindling fast. We talked to a landowner south of Leeds that we usually hunt, but not this year!! :cry:
Seems that Kyle Blanchfield has leased the whole farm. For how much you might ask?? Here's what we were told: $7500 cash, free lake lot for the year, one weeks use of Moms condo in Mexico :eek:
I think you need to think about changing your state's name from North Dakota to North Texas, there are some similarities starting to show through. I guess we will have to go further north next year!! :beer:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
What kind of value do you think the farmer will place on the 1 weeks condo and lake lot......you know so he can pay his fair share of income taxes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kind of wonder how that worls too,,,,,AND the $7500??? :roll:
One other thing I found out,,,,,,,There is a small lake just southeast of Leeds that is a wonderful duck spot. It seems that the local landowners have restricted the use of boats. I spoke to a ND DNR employee that told us that we can put a boat on there anytime we wanted and there was nothing they can do about it! :lol:
There is a public access area that looks to be 70-80 acres located on the northwest corner of the lake that a local has put a "Walk in Access Only" Sign up. We were told that the Game and Fish Dept had nothing to do with that sign....Whats up with that????

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Please don't shoot that lake. It is the main area that holds most of the geese by Leeds. One of the reasons that there is still snow goose hunting by Leeds is that that water does not get shot during the season. I guess I can't stop you but it would sure suck around Leeds if people started shooting that water. The reason they restricted access to the water is because it is the main roost in the area. If people start shooting that you can kiss the goose hunting around the town of Leeds goodbye. I'm just warning you too that if you hunt that even if it is Legal you may get a hard time from some of the landowners and hunters around that area.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Are you talking about Mud Lake ???

The west side access is a DU project & USFWS the NDG&FD have almost nothing to do with USFWS & WPA's

- No boats with motors are allowed on any WPA (or I believe any USFWS managed lands)

The water comes up to the road on the south end & a boat could be put on the water there - only a small part is USFWS / DU project - The only cover left is on the far north end

It does hold some SOB's & folks post property they don't own around there

Maybe your talking the one a couple miles east of there ??? That is all DU/USFWS walk in only (would have to drag a boat)

Most Farmers & locals don't like Meandering water Laws & will act like it is still theirs :roll:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Lake Isben has an "Adiministrative Rule" not allowing Duck boats ??? - according to Captain 25 & is pretty heavly posted except the one USFWS place on the west side - with no access :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Semp, the landowner's initials ER by any chance? Kyle has had some of his stuff for a while.

The water deal is interesting. GG's right, this (can't remember the name of this water) is a very important roost in the area. Boat traffic on it, and the HF, and Comstock and.... and.... and ..... has gotten much more intense lately to the detriment of all. It should be left alone.

But this is truly a symptom of commercialization. Desperate times call for desparate measures. One form of hunting that can never be renderd exclusive is plowing right into these larger bodies of water, many of which have a public way in and serve as important roosts.

At the end of the day, this commercialization stuff is going to mean less for most. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. SD waterfowlers and related business will be the big winners.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i WOULD ASK EVERY ONE WHO HUNT FROM BOATS TO RESTRICK THE TIME THEY SPEND ON THE WATER. ALL SMALL WATWR IS OR WILL BE DRYED UP. THE BIG WATER WILL HOLD THE BIRDS AND IF YOU SPEND THE WHOLE DAY ON THE WATER AS SOME DO SD WILL BE THE WINER AS THEY WERE LAST YEAR. GET IN AND GET OUT. NO SHOOTING IN THE AFTERNOON PLESE PLEASE.

·
Registered
372 Posts
again this area keeps "shooting itself in the foot"....seems everyone around here has been convinced by the former Chamber pres( now working for Blanchfield and Econ 101) that this area is so great for duck hunting....It is, but land access is horrible due to huge amounts of land tied up by G/O' s...it is turning into a pay to play area & the area keeps expanding

I'm ready to sit back and watch this season, as I feel it will be pivotal...This area still has good water conditions & we'll see a huge number of NR's here...if they are coming to freelance I expect many will leaving having a bad expierence...those who come to use the G/O's should have good hunting....I just hope some will start to see what is going on up here & not fall for all the propaganda

I believe due to the drought this season will be the peak of waterfowl hunters #'s, but we'll have to see.

I ask all the Nr's who are dissatisfied with their trip to this area, voice out why....

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Great to have somene from the DL area tell it like it is......It's dry here guys.....drier than many on this site have ever seen. The wet years everyone is used to are OVER. In the east there has been virtually no rain since the 9th of JULY. South Central ND (zone 1 and 2) is about as dry as I've seen it in many years. Potholes that I thought would never dry-up and I thought were pretty deep have gone dry. There is going to be EXTREME pressure for the remaining water.....We really need to spread out when the NRs are visiting to shoot waterfowl. Many NR MN hunters are going to be pressured if they mostly show up for the opener on Oct 4 and then again on the 18th for MN teachers convention. There are a few wetter areas, don't get me wrong, but even those wet areas are drying very fast.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The public access to land (trespass law) here in ND takes some getting used too.

There are few decent places for the public to hunt in Arkansas. Everyone down there knows what prime and even subprime waterfowl habitat is worth so there is no asking your local farmer for permission. Either it is already leased or the asking price is so astronomical he will wait until all the other leases are gone and Mr. Moneybags comes along. The sad thing is they will pay whatever he is asking.

By the way, to give you an idea of what I mean by astronomical.....the lease I hunted on in Arkansas was reasonably priced at $35,000 per year. :roll:

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
With this kind of Money flowing into the leasing business is there anydoubt of the need to push for the purchase of public land in ND. A $ 100.00 sportsman stamp is needed "yesterday" for this project. Public hunting is already a thing of the past in most states that don't have public lands. Its probably already too late, Its depressing........ North Dakota was a wonderful place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lots of water here in my lake in MN! Hey - that's right - drought years do bring spectacular hunting here. Maybe I'll stay home!

Crabby

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I just love all these threats of staying home. I really don't understand them. No one is making you hunt here. If you don't want to don't. Obviously you do though or this wouldn't be such a big deal. I have said it befor eand I will say it again....there are so many NR that do understand, obviously you aren't one of them. We are trying to preserve a quality hunt for all!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Isn't amazing that we have 30,000 NR waterfowlers visiting to hunt, 1/2 are from MN, and the only ones that seem to be complainng are the MN residents. Ditto on the reason you're visiting the state...if you don't like it stay home. One week closure on 1% of the land and most of that doesn't even have water on it. To be fair and not lump all the MN NR hunters into one catagory, I'd like to thank the MN residents who have expressed a sincere appreciaton of the hunting and who themselves are expressing some need for limitations so the quality can stay the same for everyone.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Bobm, the public purchase of land for hunting in ND is almost a guarenteed no go. We have a state law that the gov has to sign off on it before it can be done. Willing buyer-willing seller doesn't mean squat here. Look at any of the ranch sales that went into the state parks or national grasslands-----Farm Bureau and the Stockman's Asc almost had a blowout. Right now the Erber ranch is up for sale to Theodore Roosevelt National Park and everybody is raising hell about it out there. Public hunting ground puts a dent in commercial hunting and Farm Bureau will fight that purchase tooth and nail. If they have any nails left after the lawsuit.

Leasing is the only way it will happen here, like PLOTS. And as you raise the Habitat Stamp again, the legislature simpy skims the NDGF buget to other state departments, because NDGF license revenues are NOTdedicated funds. Last session sportsmen lost 100,000 + acres of PLOTS do to the skim off.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Not all MN hunters care about this issue - just a few very vocal ones.

I have said it once and I will say it again ...

Coincidence or Not ==> the issue here is the closing of ND owned public land when MN kids have Thursday and Friday off (MEA).

I guess this maybe similar to the angry hockey parent.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Hey Dick, Is their ( farm bureau and the stockmans) big ***** really the hunting issue? I'm asking not challenging. If thats the way it is and ND hunters don't organize and threaten the govenor by voting you guys are screwed. I would get together right now and get a hunter association going and get in people that are favorable to our views. Like you said the Plots thing is just another slush fund for politicians if its not dedicated to the land aquisition. The more I here about this the sicker I get. I'm so dam frustrated I could spit. Without public land none of you will be hunting in 5 to 10 years. Unless of course you have a spare $35,000.00 laying around for a lease.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts