North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey boys.....when yall get in after opener post up how ya did, I'm anxious to see. Kill em good boys....gotta wait til the 6th here.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
4 of us were 2 shy with 18 this morning.It hasn't rained here most of the summer.So 10 minutes before shooting it started to rain.Rained for about an hour.Got wet but it was worth it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
limited out around 800. took my girlfriend out and had a blast. best was a triple, 7 came in, one came out! awesome hunt. the rain missed us by 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I went for Quality instead of quanity - Got Three BIG ones :D

Left the roosts alone - But they shifted patterns & found new places tonight

Man are there lots of Ducks & Canadas out there :eek:

My pup got her 1st doves today too & 1st exposure to gunfire & it did not phaze her at all :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
We had the same type of morning, as if the anticipation wasn't high enough the birds came off late. Anyway, once they started flying it was all worth it. We had a pretty shoot, ended up with an even 20. Our field wasn't the biggest feed that we scouted, but the only one that the birds were packed in tight. The birds decoyed pretty well.

We talked to some other guys who had mixed results. A lot of birds feeding really close to the roost and scattered across fields.

Nice to see that everyone had a respectable morning, gg, gb3, decoyer looks like you guys may have had the shoot of the day...nice work gentlemen.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Well I might as well say I sucked it up with a grand total of two today. All of our geese came in one flock. Couple that with lousy shooting and ditch piggers messing things up and thats how it went. However, some buddies of mine were in a field that took 80 geese total. Two groups in the field, my buddies shot 25, the group on the other end "mopped" up the rest. Guess the other group had 50 by 8:00. Can you say education??? Oh yeah and the guys I know got two bands and a radio transmitter. Theres alot of geese around, should be a good season. Good job guys, it was good to get out.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Man I am going to be thinking of that shoot all season. The thing that really suprised me was that nobody else was out there. Good thing we got out there at 1230 to make sure nobody else was out there right Tyler? :oops:

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
We ended up with 8. Instead of heading back to there normal roost 2 miles away our birds Sunday night, they decided to sit on a slough in the middle of our field. After we educated the first three that came in, the other birds decided to head out the other end! oh well, we managed to scratch a few wandering singles and doubles! Man, are there ducks out there!!
Decoyer , I feel your pain, we headed to our field at 1200am. We didn't see or hear another group all day!!

For some reason I'm real tired today??????

·
Registered
183 Posts
My brother-in-law, his dad and my self limited by 8. The geese in our area came off almost an hour after legal shooting time, just as everyone else is seeing. It was only 45 minutes from our 1st goose till our last. It was all feet down 15 yds out. Sounds like everyone had really good luck. Can't wait to get out later this week.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
60 ******-tonks have bit the dust over the spread between yesterday and today. 35 of 'em were taken within ten miles of town.

We were hunting by DL yesterday morning and man the birds were skittish! It was like they had been hunted for the past month. I talked to a farmer the day before who said he shot 105 by himself this past summer and that everyone around him had been doing the same. I'm thinking maybe this might have something to do with it. They were still good numbers of geese but nothing like the past couple years. We needed 35 but only wound up with 25 before packing it in. Then we hunted by GF in the afternoon and filled out the last ten. We had a lot of birds dragging their feet before we pulled the trigger yesterday evening and this morning.

I'm heading to WI tommorrow so I'm not sure if I'll make it out or not.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I too went for guality, that's ten monster canadas in an hour and twenty minutes. The kid I took out was overjoyed. Nothing better than watching young guys drop some canucks.

1 14 pounder and a couple 13 and a halfs, the rest in the 10 t0 10 1/2 pound range.

I was on the west side of lake alice and the birds were anything but skittish. We didn't even call, didn't have too.

cootkiller

·
Registered
443 Posts
Doubt me all you wan Goosebuster.
I don't see what is so unbelievable about me report but you can ask Kyle Blanchfield, Glen Kurtz, Bubba Hodous, Bob GIbson, Kyle langtin, Any of those guys, they were witnesses to the cleaning.

cootkiller

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I wasnt doubting you, but all the geese everybody shot yesterday were quality geese, Its pretty dumb to say that when everyboy had the same pound honkers as you.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
GooseBuster3 said:
I wasnt doubting you, but all the geese everybody shot yesterday were quality geese, Its pretty dumb to say that when everyboy had the same pound honkers as you.
Huh? I'm not following you GB. I think he was just saying he was picking out bigger birds. That he considered quality birds.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts