North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we had four birds come into the decoys one was and adult blue goose, adult ross goose, juvy ross goose, and the juvy blue-phase ross goose, this is the first blue phase ross that i have seen

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That thing is for surely going into the freezer, one of the guys in our group is mounting it, That's too bad it's a juvy though, that would be a neat lookig bird if it was an adult.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Nice bird :beer: .....but it is a hybrid,not a blue-phased Ross.Ross don't have the grinning patch that Snows do.That bird has a grinning patch.Especially since it sounds like you had a family group of 4.....an adult Blue and an adult white Ross as mates.Still unique.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Unfortunatly it will more than likely not make a nice mounter...Too many pin feathers for this time of year.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
KEN W said:
Nice bird :beer: .....but is is a hybrid,not a blue-phased Ross.Ross don't have the grinning patch that Snows do.That bird has a grinning patch.Especially since it sounds like you had a family group of 4.....an adult Blue and an adult white Ross as mates.Still unique.
Say Ken i might be wrong but i thought that all blue-phased ross geese were hybrids because there is no such thing that is a true blue-phased ross.

·
Registered
579 Posts
There is quite the arguement over blue phase ross geese. Some say they exist 100%, others say they are hybrids no matter what. Beak does look like a snow to me, but I'm not an expert by any means! Small juvy blue?

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
From what I understand,there have been no true blue-phased Ross geese.After genetic testing all have been found to be hybrids.I've heard the Smithsonian will pay big bucks for a true blue-phased Ross.

Still,hybrids are a rare bird.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
prairie hunter said:
I've heard the Smithsonian will pay big bucks for a true blue-phased Ross.
Aaaa - I don't think so ... selling migratory birds is illegal in the US
OK.......how about a reward????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sd snow goose killer said:
we had four birds come into the decoys one was and adult blue goose, adult ross goose, juvy ross goose, and the juvy blue-phase ross goose, this is the first blue phase ross that i have seen

I was in on that hunt that one was a fun one. I think its a juvy Blue-phased Ross if you ask me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used to guide a few guys from the Smithsonian who could and would shoot ANY birds they needed to ....great blue herons to swans you name it ....they had a card to show the gw's that this was for scienctific studies....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.