North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's obvious A LOT of you guys could use the help (and since many of you have asked for it), here you go...

Tip #1. Unless you're hunting DL or the River there are very few reasons to bring a boat to ND (most locals just laugh at you). I.E. There's no reason to put a boat in slough that doesn't get any more deep than 2 feet. Hip boots will work in a lot of spots and if you feel like hunting larger sloughs here's two words for you...chest waders.

Tip #2. You DO NOT need to bring 4 wheelers. This isn't spring snow goose hunting, and the fields are dust-bowl dry right now even in the WETTEST parts of the state. I drive a 2-wheel drive truck and unless for some stupid reason I felt the urge to drive accross a shallow slough I could go anywhere your 4-wheeler can right now. Of course I understand that a lot of you who have them blew $5K on one and just want to play with your new toy. But for all PRACTICAL purposes there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED for one...unless you're using it to haul your oversized boat accross a field into a 2 foot deep slough that you could have just waded accross using hip boots. In that case it's TOTALLY understandable. :roll:

Tip #3. HAVE A BACK UP PLAN!!! Or better yet, two or three...and sometimes even four. That way when you decide to get up an hour before shooting time and find that the unposted field you scouted the night before is being used by someone else you don't need to be an ******* and ruin their hunt because you put all your eggs in one basket. Some people call it foresight some call it planning ahead...I just like to call it COMMON SENSE. Which leads to my last tip...

Tip #4. Give everyone their space. If you're set up close enough to another party to the point where your gunshots are flaring birds working they're spread you are TOO CLOSE. Maybe that's not how it goes in your home state, but that's how it goes here. When in Rome...

·
Registered
13 Posts
:D I couldn't agree more!!! The tips were perfect they should be posted on the website that liscense are purchased. I'm from Cook, Minnesota (Lake Vermilion) and we experience the same type of problems you guy are frustrated with. Except our visitor come from Minneapolis or Chicago. True a few make a bad name for all but when you've seen the same things for so long it gets old. I think it's funny/sad that these guys use the excuse "that's the way it is back home", isn't the reason you traveling to North Dakota or Northern Minnesota to get a way from that problem? Why recreate the situation in another area. There are always spots to hunt/fish if you are willing to look, the problem with alot of these "out of towners" is they have been sold on the fact that all they have to do is drive into town and the action starts. Not the case. Listen to the locals, this is the most important thing you can do in order to be successfull!!! Also respect them for living where and how they do, it is a choice!!! You do not have to live/work/hunt where you do, you chose too!!! Locals make sacrafices to live/work/hunt where they do, they have earned respect because of that. I look forward to coming out to North Dakota and hunting for the rest of the week. Hopefully I'll meet a few of you and see some ducks. We will not be towing a wheeler or a boat we have learned from past trips that in order to be successful you scout, put on the miles, get away from the crowds and committ a few more days than you would originally plan, because we don't live in the area. Thanks for all the help. I've learned alot from reading posts on this site and it certainly has helped me in my trips to Dakota. Thanks again and for anyone who hasn't been the above tips are right on the money!! :beer:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Jones-eerrrrrr! Come on now man...

Now I am all for listening to your opinions, but let face it your gonna have stuff like this anywhere you go... Best thing to do is educate people, I am sure the first time you hunted in ND, after all them years of hunting the Apple Valley area of MN you were tempted or at least asked the question " Do I need to bring a boat?"..

A lot of NR's dont have the connections to ask the right questions on what to bring to Dakota.

I have hunted with you before and I can still see a little of that good ole MN boy coming out of ya still.. You did lose your ability to drink like a SOTAN!!

Keep it reel

Madison

·
Registered
66 Posts
Jones,

Maybe we can get a few NR's to put your statements in action, but I bet most will shrug it off and go on pissing people off. I just wish a few of them will finally figure it out: The duck boat parade is the laughing stock of North Dakota hunting. I saw a guy in a boat last year in the ditch, right off the blacktop, 200 yards from Tewaukon Refuge with 2 robo ducks, and MN plates of course. R U KIDDING ME?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Madison said:
after all them years of hunting the Apple Valley area of MN you were tempted or at least asked the question " Do I need to bring a boat?"
I'll officially state for the record that I was never tempted putting a boat in ND waters until after a couple seasons I decided to try the diver hunting on DL...which must be that 'Sotan coming out in me wanting to shoot divers. :lol:

There are boat hunters in ND, as I'm sure Fetch will let you know, and they are actually quite a few spots to put a boat. A slough that you can wade accross that you have to drag a boat to it with a 4-wheeler is not one of them IMO. That's just me.

...And I can drink like a Jones...which I'm not quite sure makes me more of a 'Sotan or more of a NoDakian. :beer:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Theres lots to like about Nodak... one of them being the fact that I can leave the boat behind! I remember year one, going through our list of what to bring. Somewhere on there was "BOAT". Didnt bring it. Didnt need it. Year 2, BOAT was on there again, but with a thick line drawn through it. Year 3... what boat?? IMO - Leave 'em behind fellas. Hip waders and a good dog is all you need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I couldn't stop laughing at your comment about NR's bringing boats to N.D.
Last weekend when I was coming home from Devils Lake from an afternoon of Fishing, I counted 79 boats on U.S. 2 between Devils Lake & G.F. It was hilarious! Peace out, I've got to go get my waders out for this weekends hunt! :lol:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Jones...AMEN I say the same things, every year.

Red Dog, you can hunt with me anytime...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Its all good Jonsey!!

As for Big Black I've seen the Jonser hit the bottle, I;m just giving him crap. I had him folded up and singing Pearl Jam songs after a night of boozin... All jonser had to say at the end of the night was the famous words of eddy vedder "ohhhh Im Spinnning!!""

Keep it reel

mad d.o. double G

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yes I boat hunt - But if there is another boat in the same water, it is too close for me :wink:

The thing many of you have not learned is Ducks are water birds & comfortable in water - hunting from shore or fields ducks are weery (of predators - including man) - out in big water where there are islands of reeds etc - ducks do not expect predators to be there

& as long as alot of waters are open & public - some greedy person cannot keep you out of there - so actually it opens up lots of places to hunt hassle free (not many public fields that ducks want to be in is there) :eyeroll:

If it's truely a roost & effects a large area for field hunting get the G&FD to make it a Waterfowl rest area - But if it is not - leave the boat hunters alone - we just want to get away from you land hunters & all your hassles

I wonder how many could wack & stack all those birds without all that Bait :roll:

Let em feed :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Rick A. said:
I couldn't stop laughing at your comment about NR's bringing boats to N.D.
Last weekend when I was coming home from Devils Lake from an afternoon of Fishing, I counted 79 boats on U.S. 2 between Devils Lake & G.F. It was hilarious! Peace out, I've got to go get my waders out for this weekends hunt! :lol:
Rick yeah it is pretty hilarious. I was driving to Fargo from Grand Forks and i counted 90 [/b] SUV's or pickups with boats and 4-wheelers. Like Jones said what do you need a four-wheeler for? Is it laziness? I dunno

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You know what ****** me off, I go to class in Detroit Lakes (everyday I commute from Fargo) and I see feeds of 200 hundred birds. Today right off highway 10 I saw a feed of about 100 birds. That would be perfect for these nonresidents from MN. I went out for a drive at my lunch break and found another feed of 80 to 100 birds, it had Mallies in it to. I think there are a lot of birds moving and I am seeing them in MN, as well as ND!

It's called scouting. Something people don't do enough of!

Mav....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mav, I have seen a ton of birds in the DL area as well. This past early season I was almost tempted to buy a non-resident MN license and hunt them in the third week of the season when Nodak was shut down for Canadas.

As for Jones, I use my boat to fish the Red River for cats, and I'll drink you under the table any night. Wu Wu. :beer:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts