North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to hunt flooded fields that have not been harvested as long as the water is from rain and not put in the field by man made sources?
I have some standing soybeans with water from a pothole flooding them and the ducks are using them some.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Negative.

From what I understand the federal laws state you can NOT hunt an unharvested field. Doesn't matter if it is flooded, dry, mud, your, your buddies, etc.

I have asked wardens about this topic, and every one of them has a different twist on there answers. But they all say ask the feds. SO I would do that before you go out, just to make sure.

But I am guessing they are going to say NO.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Sorry Mike

Summary of Federal Regulations
In addition to state regulations, these federal rules apply to the taking and possession of migratory game birds.

No one shall take migratory game birds by the aid of baiting, or on or over any baited area, where a person knows or reasonably should know that the area is or has been baited. You may hunt migratory game birds, including waterfowl, on, over or from standing crops or flooded standing crops; flooded, harvested cropland; lands where grain has been scattered solely as a result of a normal agricultural planting, harvest or post-harvest manipulation; or from a blind or place of concealment camouflaged with vegetation from agricultural crops, provided that use of such vegetation does not expose, deposit or scatter grain or other feed.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
USSapper said:
Sorry Mike

Summary of Federal Regulations
In addition to state regulations, these federal rules apply to the taking and possession of migratory game birds.

No one shall take migratory game birds by the aid of baiting, or on or over any baited area, where a person knows or reasonably should know that the area is or has been baited. You may hunt migratory game birds, including waterfowl, on, over or from standing crops or flooded standing crops; flooded, harvested cropland; lands where grain has been scattered solely as a result of a normal agricultural planting, harvest or post-harvest manipulation; or from a blind or place of concealment camouflaged with vegetation from agricultural crops, provided that use of such vegetation does not expose, deposit or scatter grain or other feed.
I guess the warden was wrong! Learn something new everyday!

Have at em!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I still wonder why people get confused on the baiting rules. Flooded grain be it corn, soybeans etc.. is legal to hunt if it is still standing. You still need the permission of the landowner or operator,(if land is rented, operator controls access regardless of what the landowner may say).

hunt4P&Y, I am not surprised at the response you where given, baiting for waterfowl is something most ND wardens shy away from unless you are intentionally spreading grain.

Hunted flooded soybeans with permission from the farmer, we walked in and out the same way and avoided knocking down any more plants than necessary. USFWS warden walked out and checked our license and bag no issues!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah I've seen a Tim Grounds video (or maybe on tv) where they were hunting flooded corn at a duck club in Illinois I believe. Can't imagine they'd do something like that on video if it were illegal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im pretty sure its legal, here in Mo thats pretty much all we hunt for ducks, weather it be flooded corn fields or beans. Almost all of the conservation areas that the state allows public hunting on are basically all flooded grain fields.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Phil,
I would only caution you regarding "manipulation". That is a term that can be abused by the wrong kind of warden. I had friends that got ticketed in Mississippi for hunting over crops that had been manipulated for hunting. Because the field they were in was large, they drug their gear in on one of those floating sleds. It obviously moved some of the beans, so the warden stated they had intentionally manipulated the crops for baiting purposes. Jerk.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
D&D said:
Phil,
I would only caution you regarding "manipulation". That is a term that can be abused by the wrong kind of warden. I had friends that got ticketed in Mississippi for hunting over crops that had been manipulated for hunting. Because the field they were in was large, they drug their gear in on one of those floating sleds. It obviously moved some of the beans, so the warden stated they had intentionally manipulated the crops for baiting purposes. Jerk.
Im pretty sure id have taken that one to court.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.