North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was out duck and goose hunting today and i was looking behind me and when i turned around there was a large bird in my spread. i think it was a sand hill but im not sure. would they land in a goose decoy spread. our blinds were not as camoed as i like and from what i understand cranes are pretty spooky. it was all gray, no red on the head or anything. maybe a young crane? i tried to take a picture but some ducks came in on us and it took off when i started calling.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yeah that sounds like a crane, but it also may have been a cormorant. Ive had those land in my decoys and they seem like very "dumb" birds, we were moving around in plain sight and they didnt care. eventually they flew up into a tree next to our blind, they are usually black though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
used the snow call 3 years ago to call a crane in by trilling the call instead of honking. The crane stayed in our spread at the basins most of the day, eating corn. About 4:00 it flew away. nothing wrong with it it just found a lot of corn to eat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.