North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently run 5 dozen bigfoots and am going to be getting some extra money in the near future. and i was wondering if 5 dozen would suffice? i have the space in my trailer for probably 3 more dozen. but if i can get by with 5 dozen i will use that. i will usually either hunt by myself or with a couple other guys, and i wont run traffic. so basically my question is would 5 dozen decoys be enough for a guy who hunts by himself and always on the X? thanks for the advice

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
If your always going to be on the X and just with few guys, 5doz is more than enough.

You say you won't be running traffic, but wait until the regular season comes and with it come the masses, or the late season birds (where we run traffic 90% of the time)..sooner or later you'll be running traffic or staying in bed. :lol:

If were you I'd add dozen or two..because if Leo doesn't sell those DSD's soon you'll be carrying him all season.. :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just made a phone call and i can get my hands on 3 dozen shells. could i use my BF's for my main spread then use the shells as fillers? could i run traffic with 3 dozen shells and 5 doz BF's and be effective?

·
Registered
727 Posts
If I were you I'd stay with just BF's. I know if you shop around you can find good deals but you can also get seconds from bigfoot and save a couple pennies.

As far as if 5 dozen is enough, in most cases 5 dozen would be plenty for me except for a few occasions a year I have a lot of people or a lot of very high flyers. I put that it would be enough decoys for me because everyone hunts a bit different. Some guys can work magic with a couple dozen and some guys can really put a hurt on them with 10-12 dozen, it just depends on your style. If you are curious if a few more dozen might change the result of your hunts go ahead and try some and if you don't like them I'm sure you will be able to sell em. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Bigfoots are money, we have been running 10 dozen since aug. 15th, late season I like to set 20 dozen honks and have been known to set out alot more than that the end of october, and some snows when they are around, works for us I guess, Like shooteminthelips says I also feel unprepared with less than 10 dozen but some guys swear by little spreads and then there is guys like me that dont feel comfortable in them, just depends who you talk to.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i might stick with what i have and see how it goes. and if i need to go buy more then i will. most of the guys i hunt with have some decoys as well so if need be they can bring them along as well to make the numbers that we need.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am assuming your hunting Missouri river birds after Thanksgiving, 60 decoys should work. Get hid and spread em out, if your not here's what I do.

Ok this is being serious now, I set up 17 yep 17 starting about the middle of Oct. I have 90 some BF's but after hunting this year since Aug 15 then spending hours setting up snow goose decoys in Canada, decoys suck. However, when you take out people who don't get out that much it's "lets set um all up". So I leave most of them in the garage. It never failed once last year, if geese came when we hunting ducks they decoyed if we got the spinners shut off in time. If we were just targeting honkers they came in no problem.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just went today and bought 3 dozen bigfoots. i also bought a dozen of ghg hot buy shells for $50. a buddy of mine is leaving the base and needed to get rid of them. they were brand new in the box and he priced them to sell. so now i have 8 dozen BF's and a dozen shells for a grand total of 9 dozen honker decoys. i think i might be done for now haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts