North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st off i have been in the shadows for about three years just reading and taking it all the wealth of info presented on the board.

I am currently looking at getting a new bolt action rifle( sks fun factor is over). I am planning on coyote hunting and maybe keeping the fur with it, but i want to be able to shoot out to long distances with it for my own enjoyment say 7-8 houndred yard max. I know your probally thinking thats all but i have always been facinated with long range shooting. considering 308, 243, 270 or any other sugestions one may have.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Cwright,

The 6.5's are very good round and many people in the long range shooting sports are turning away from the 308's and picking up the 6.5 because they have a great ballistic coefficient.
for example; 260 Remington, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5-284, 264 win.

the 6mm will do what you want them to do for you and so will the 308, it's all preference. If your hunting animals with the 243 at 7-8 hundred yds, i'd probably back off a bit. the terminal velocity will be pretty low.

xdeano

· Registered
303 Posts
well in my opinion if your looking to save furs I wouldnt even think about the 308 or 270..I am not a huge fan of the 243 either..been there done that...I prefer the 22-250...I think your off your rocker if you think you can shoot 700-800 yds accurately and be consistant...

· Registered
2,575 Posts
I believe he is talking about punching paper at the 700-800yds. And shooting coyotes at a reasonable distance. If it was just for shooting coyotes i'd steer him towards a 22-250 also but since the max on a 250 is around 400yds or so, someone who can shoot can push it a bit further.

Accuracy and consistency is only achieved by someone who actually gets out there and punches paper and shoots on a regular basis, I would even think about pushing a bullet if I didn't spend the time behind a scope.

If you're looking at a multipurpose gun, choose the 243, 6.5, 308. There are several bullet manufactures out there that will shoot paper very well that will double as a good fur round. A lot of people use Match ammo for this job to do exactly what you're looking for. Just read up on it.

xdeano

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry i should of been more specific. I would never think about hunting out past 300yds. I know i am not a good enough shot to do it reliably . I was talking about just punching paper out to those ranges. I am lucky and have a place where i can shoot those long distances and would like to and try and get proficent at it.

· Registered
1,867 Posts
The 243 is to my mind the ideal coyote round for ND. Given a similar body hit, pelt damage with a 70-85 grain 6MM bullet is not much different than that of a 55 grain 22 at centerfire velocities (if you care about such things, I just want the dog dead...) and the 6MM is far superior in the wind.

Although I've occasionally stretched this a bit, I consider both the 22-250 and 243 to be 300 yard coyote rounds.

Long range accuracy requires more than the 6MM offers though, unless you are just playing around. If you truly want to learn this, you need a different caliber & specific rifle/scope package.

I'm an LE sniper and my choice for precision is my LH Remington 700 heavy barrel in 308, Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X Tactical Scope, and Black Hills 168 grain Match ammunition. This is a sub MOA setup and the predictable, stable trajectory of the 168 grain Match simplfies drop & drift calculations, particularly at longer ranges.

If I anticipate a hunting situation that will require a shot beyond 350 yards, my preferred rifle is my LH Remington 700 in 7MM Magnum with a Burris 4.5-14 Ballistic Plex scope. My go-to rifle for most hunting is a LH Remington 700 SS in 270 with the same Burris scope. Both these rifle have been glass bedded, floated, have the triggers adjusted to 3lbs, and print MOA or better...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.