North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ya glad we live in the north country.. I dont understand why people refuse to evacuate though.. I realise they may have no place to go, but they arent going to have a place to go when they get back either. So why not make sure you arent killed in the storm and then decide were you are going to go from there. I wish we had that type of warning for tornados.. I read that the people who are refusing to leave the police are asking them to put there name and SS# on there arms with perminate marker so after the storm they have a way to ID them..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Gavelston is built on ground basicly right at sea level, or a couple feet over.

It's hard to feel sorry for the people that build here, that have their homes destroyed. What did you expect?

It reminds me of the people in CA that build their houses right over the San Andreas fault. The fault is visible in some spots and not in others. Theres people building their houses right on top of the covered spots... :idiot:

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
huntingdude16 said:
It's hard to feel sorry for the people that build here, that have their homes destroyed. What did you expect?
While it is hard to feel sorry for them, it is human to feel compasion due to the loss of entity of self with total destruction and loss.

Another words...I feel for the result and those that suffer it, not the cause or action.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Here's a photo of the hurricane rolling in....

Anyone wanna go surfing? :eek:

Ryan

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Huntingdude think about this, They have been living there for hundreds of years and to date not including IKE there has been one mega storm a hundred years ago. The residents of Houston are far more likely to die from random violence on their streets or in a car wreck than from a hurricane. No matter wherever you live it is horrible to loose your house and life.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Anyone who stays is either very optimistic or insane, or combined insanely optimistic. Riding the Storm Out-REO Speedwagon, late 60's.
8)

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
R y a n said:
I heard there were 12-15 waves at Pensacola FL this AM. A surfers dream.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Not to belittle the problems they face in Texas, but we are feeling it here in NC, and you may be too. I bought gas this AM at $3.69/gal, on the way home after work they were lined up down the street to buy at $4.29/gal. That's a $0.60 increase in 8 hours. The governor has fielded over 500 complaints for price gouging today alone.

Robet

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Huntingdude think about this, They have been living there for hundreds of years and to date not including IKE there has been one mega storm a hundred years ago. The residents of Houston are far more likely to die from random violence on their streets or in a car wreck than from a hurricane. No matter wherever you live it is horrible to loose your house and life.
Rita didnt hit straight on but she wasnt very far.

Where did you hear theres only been two huricanes to ever come near Gavelston?

In the first person view, yes it is horrible. In the 2nd person view....maybe it's just me, but I can't muster a lot of sympathy. :shake:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've been trapped in south Louisiana for the last couple days now, the delta it underwater, the roads are flooded, the only way in or out is by boat, and that's from storm surge alone, we are over 300 miles from Galveston. The winds have been 50 knots plus all day long.

Got to love the Gulf!

I hope you all filled up your fuel tanks and purchased your heating oil for this winter. This thing is going to take the Houston refinery sector offline for God only knows how long. The repercussions could be staggering for our suffering economy.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
R y a n said:
Here's a photo of the hurricane rolling in....

Ryan
Sorry Ryan, but that isn't Ike. I have seen that picture many times and while it is an awesome picture, the first time I saw it was at least two years ago. Very scary looking storm none-the-less!!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Its a little ole thing called COMPASSION. We all take some risks in where we chose to live, or the hobbies we chose to partake in, or the faith we leave in nature to do right by us.
Heaven forbide I wreck on my bike, or fall out of my stand and break my neck, or something else happens when I'm in the woods or out on the water, or a rogue wave destroys my home, or a drought or a tornado destroys my crop or a fire eliminates every item I own. I should hope that people would find some compassion and understanding for the suffering and struggle even though the risks and results are all a part of the life I chose.
Its a lot more fun living life doing things and living places that are full of life, but, I personally, can vouch for the immense value that lies in the compassion of people. Its all thats left when "storms" hit heavy and leave you with nothing. Well..almost nothing, still have life and compassionate friends. Nature is fighting back my friends, its power is indeed beautiful, and maybe we will all learn to lean on each other again. Phew, done with this soap box!! Just have a heart people.
:oops:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts