North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a new pair of non rubber hunting boots. I've seen where a lot of people are going away from hunting/mountaineering boots to hiking boots. Perfect example is the Lowa GTX Renegade. I was looking at these at a local store.
I hunt SE Alaska, the Juneau area, but am looking to go on a Caribou hunt in Adak and next year I'm planning on going down to Etolin Island to get a Elk. So I need a good boot for hiking the alpine and hills, but not necessarily a boot for Mt Goat and Dall Sheep hunting.
What are your thoughts on the Lowa Camino GTX or Rangers GTX? Is the hiking boot or a trekking boot a good option for hunting? What about carrying out a quartered out Caribou/Elk/Moose? Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
2,898 Posts
No experience with your choices. However, I bought some Keen Targhee II and could not be more pleased. Had about a year now and walked 5-10 miles a day in Montana, sheep hunting for two weeks. I wear them all the time here just knocking around. Probably THE MOST COMFORTABLE kicks I own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, I was looking at those and the Lowa Renegade and Vasque St Elias. I was worried about the foot support with a 100 pound pack going up and down ridges, with a Caribou or Elk hindquarter. How has your Keen's held up under such a load?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.