North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a new pair of non rubber hunting boots. I've seen where a lot of people are going away from hunting/mountaineering boots to hiking boots. Perfect example is the Lowa GTX Renegade. I was looking at these at a local store.
I hunt SE Alaska, the Juneau area, but am looking to go on a Caribou hunt in Adak and next year I'm planning on going down to Etolin Island to get a Elk. So I need a good boot for hiking the alpine and hills, but not necessarily a boot for Mt Goat and Dall Sheep hunting.
What are your thoughts on the Lowa Camino GTX or Rangers GTX? Is the hiking boot or a trekking boot a good option for hunting? What about carrying out a quartered out Caribou/Elk/Moose? Thanks guys!

· Administrator
2,924 Posts
No experience with your choices. However, I bought some Keen Targhee II and could not be more pleased. Had about a year now and walked 5-10 miles a day in Montana, sheep hunting for two weeks. I wear them all the time here just knocking around. Probably THE MOST COMFORTABLE kicks I own.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, I was looking at those and the Lowa Renegade and Vasque St Elias. I was worried about the foot support with a 100 pound pack going up and down ridges, with a Caribou or Elk hindquarter. How has your Keen's held up under such a load? Thanks for replying in both spots. I thought between the two locations I might get some traffic.

· Registered
102 Posts
I have long narrow feet - 13B. The Lowa Renegade is one of the very few I can get to fit and have been wearing them for a number of years. They would be adequate for trail hiking. After you get some miles on them there is no support left. I wouldn't even think about using them with a pack, anything rocky or especially side hilling - there is just no support there.

· Registered
7 Posts
Rubber boots right here, sprayed inner and out with a fragrance killing spray. I've never witnessed an animal reduce my track and react negatively to it. Wish LaCrosse would give up coming out with nicer boots each year...Gets costly maintaining up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts