North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly, why is it so hard to find classes to fit into a busy adults schedule? I have been trying to find a class for a good friend of mine for 2 months who probably won't be able to go hunting this year because so many classes have such odd hours? The only classes I have found online have been 200 miles + from fargo, and still require attendance. Seriously, why can't we get with the times and make something so simple a little bit easier. There is always talk about how hunting is on the decline in ND, something like this isn't really helping.

/rant.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
94NDTA said:
Honestly, why is it so hard to find classes to fit into a busy adults schedule? I have been trying to find a class for a good friend of mine for 2 months who probably won't be able to go hunting this year because so many classes have such odd hours? The only classes I have found online have been 200 miles + from fargo, and still require attendance. Seriously, why can't we get with the times and make something so simple a little bit easier. There is always talk about how hunting is on the decline in ND, something like this isn't really helping.

/rant.
First, the classes may have "odd" hours because all of the instructors are volunteers and most have jobs and families. Not to mention that most also like to hunt as well.

Also if you have been looking for 2 months you would have seen the classes scheduled in Jamestown last month, that's 100 miles and those were on-line classes so they only would have had to come over here twice. If I am not mistaken there were classes in Cassleton last month as well.

Perhaps it would be better to do a bit of advanced planning and start looking for a class in the spring instead of waiting for fall to get here and then start looking. The vast majority of the classes take place in the spring / early summer.

Just my $.02

huntin1

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
huntin1 said:
94NDTA said:

/rant.
First, the classes may have "odd" hours because all of the instructors are volunteers and most have jobs and families. Not to mention that most also like to hunt as well.

Also if you have been looking for 2 months you would have seen the classes scheduled in Jamestown last month, that's 100 miles and those were on-line classes so they only would have had to come over here twice. If I am not mistaken there were classes in Cassleton last month as well.

Perhaps it would be better to do a bit of advanced planning and start looking for a class in the spring instead of waiting for fall to get here and then start looking. The vast majority of the classes take place in the spring / early summer.

Just my $.02

huntin1
I am doing this for a friend. He is an Army ranger, and was a little busy early this spring/summer. I am trying to get him to go hunting this year, but with school + work + teaching + being in Iraq, it has been hard to find time for him. I really would like him to go hunting this year before he goes back. He is not from a hunting family and didn't really get the chance to get his class out of the way when he was younger. I am just frustrated with my search, that is all. :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Valley City usually runs theirs over a 2-week span M, W, Th, M, W - 3 hours a night. Just show up on the first day. Rhodes Science center, VCSU, I think it starts around 6 pm, talk to someone from BCWF to find out the next course.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
94NDTA said:
I am doing this for a friend. He is an Army ranger, and was a little busy early this spring/summer. I am trying to get him to go hunting this year, but with school + work + teaching + being in Iraq, it has been hard to find time for him. I really would like him to go hunting this year before he goes back. He is not from a hunting family and didn't really get the chance to get his class out of the way when he was younger. I am just frustrated with my search, that is all. :beer:
Gottcha, email here: [email protected] or call 701-328-6300. Explain the situation, maybe they can contact an instructor over there who would be willing to do an on-line course for him under those circumstances. Worth a try.

huntin1

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
USAlx50 said:
Thats crazy that military needs a HS certificate, especially an army ranger :-?
Want to hear something crazier. In the early 90's I had been teaching HS for a few years, we decided to go Elk hunting in CO. I needed a HS certificate there, I don't need one here in ND so I never took a class, just the instructors class. CO would not let me use my instructors certificate, I had to take a regular class. Incidently, I was also an LE firearms instructor too.

It's crazy the hoops you have to jump through when Government agencies are involved.

huntin1

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
USAlx50 said:
Thats crazy that military needs a HS certificate, especially an army ranger :-?
I can understand it. There are hunting ethics that you are not taught in the armed forces.

In MN, he doesn't need his HS while on active duty.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
94NDTA,

Sent you a PM reference a home study course.

huntin1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.