North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a good number of Mallards (200-300) and geese (200+) using a flooded portion of a wheat field, about a 100yd. by 20 yd. stretch is water. It was an old slough that the farmer tilled up and planted. I'm not sure if the birds are leaving to roost somewhere else because I haven't had a chance to watch them in the evening. I'm just wondering if I head in there in the morning if I'm going to push birds off that won't come back. I think if the ducks want in there bad enough they will work back, but I don't want it to be a one shot deal with that many birds if I'm just going to push them out. Is it worth hunting or do you think I should look elsewhere?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
This all kind of depends. Do you have the chance to find out if they are spending the night there? I would expect the geese to be sleeping somewhere else... It's hard to say with the ducks. My guess is there are a few of them that just lay there all the time, but a lot of them probably know they're safer roosting elsewhere.

I would probably say it's ok to hunt, but if you want to be absolutely sure that you don't burn it up in one hunt, I would watch it either one morning or one evening till well after dark. The only way to know for sure is to see what's going on there from a distance.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Hunt it! If some birds are staying overnight they will fly off, but will return later in the day. These spots are common right now in some areas. These spots are not true roosting spots and come this weekend it will either get hunted by someone or jumped. We hunted a similar spot Sunday and Monday my uncle reported the birds where back using the spot again loafing late into the day.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, it went good. The geese were roosted in a different spot. Got our limits and there were birds working when we left. Probably won't matter much anyway after the weekend is over.

·
Registered
118 Posts
good deal man....have hunted a few spots like this over the years. Even if a few birds are staying there overnight it seems like if you just bump them off in the early morning without shooting they will head out and then trickle back to you as the morning progresses. Doesn't really sound like a true roost so if you get out of there at a decent time the birds should continue to use it as a loafing area at least. Good Hunting

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Glad you were able to hunt it before the circus gets in town this weekend.

Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm glad I hit that spot up. Sorry we didn't take any pictures, we both were in a hurry to get to work after the hunt, I need to start taking my camera in the field more. I was gone this weekend pronghorn hunting so I didn't get a chance to check it again. Hopefully the circus avoided my area, but there are always a few guys around. It is a pretty obvious spot so I'm sure they got pounded out for a while. I noticed one of my other meat holes is empty so I'm assuming it was hunted. The only problem is even if there is only have the amount of people there are probably half the amount of spots with the dry conditions. Oh well I'll find birds somehow, good luck to everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts