North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the biggest catfish in the world is the mekong giant catfish. some guys caught it with a net in thailand. i know you probably dont believe it but it is true i saw it on CNN a few years back. "Nearly nine feet long (2.7 meters) and as big as a grizzly bear, a huge catfish caught in northern Thailand may be the largest freshwater fish ever recorded." national geographic. "in the Mekong River, a team of fishermen struggled for more than an hour to haul the creature in. It tipped the scales at 646 pounds (293 kilograms). Despite efforts to keep the Mekong giant catfish alive, it died and was later eaten by villagers."

sweet. bet you guys wish you could catch that.

:eek:

·
Registered
295 Posts
jeeeez, and i thought my grandpa's south dakota state recored in 1965 was big.....it was a 100 lb. 8 oz. blue cat caught on the vermillion river on a set line, with a 1/2 .lb carp for bait.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fowl_play said:
jeeeez, and i thought my grandpa's south dakota state recored in 1965 was big.....it was a 100 lb. 8 oz. blue cat caught on the vermillion river on a set line, with a 1/2 .lb carp for bait.
yeah that is huge. for this species, 300 lbs. is probably a normal size.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Imagine noodling for one that size! :eek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Mekong_Catfish

mekong giant catfish
Attaining an unconfirmed length of 3 m, the Mekong giant catfish grows extremely quickly, reaching a mass of 150 to 200 kg in only six years.[8] The largest catch recorded in Thailand since record-keeping began in 1981 was a female measuring 2.7 m (roughly 9 feet) in length and weighing 293 kg (646 lb). This specimen, caught in 2005, is widely recognized as the largest freshwater fish ever caught (although sturgeon can far exceed this size, they can be anadromous). Mekong giant catfish have been confirmed as anadromous also. Thai Fisheries officials stripped the fish of its eggs as part of a breeding programme, intending then to release it, but the fish died in captivity and was sold as food to local villagers.[9][10][11]

Grey to white in colour and lacking stripes, the Mekong giant catfish is distinguished by the near-total lack of barbels and the absence of teeth.[8]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts