North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, how was everyones opener. Hunted Sat. and Sun. Limits both days. My buddies shot a double banded canada. Advise and a $100 reward!!!!! Amazed in the little amount of pressure out there!
We hunted an area that typically gets hit hard, and there were lots of birds.
Man, the resident only opener is great! If you enjoyed the opener this weekend make sure and e-mail the govenors office and let him know how much you appreciate the lack of pressure. They always here from us when things are bad, but rarely hear from us when things are good!!

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Maybe in the area that you hunted there was not much pressure but I'd say many other areas, there were MANY residents taking advantage of the opener. There were many parties hunting the area we were in on Saturday morning. The wind was blowing very strongly out of the NW which did not allow us the "hear" other hunters. Although, after picking up, there seemed to be many on the roads. There did seem to be vastly more hunters decoying and very few jumping potholes, maybe because the potholes are gone in most areas. Many I talked to were pleased that the opener was relatively un-pressured and many were planning on taking it easy next weekend for the expected rush of NR hunters.......for you NRs coming up for the opener next week....there are plently of birds left and you should have a great time. There are even a few snow geese here and are offering shots in the field decoys. If you can find a field that is near by a posted outfitter field...hunt it. Most of the fields tied up by outfitters were not hunted last weekend, at least not in our area. They'll be knocking the birds from them and they'll be changing fields more readily. Ducks seemed to be using the barley.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Opener was tough on us. Saturday we set up in a wheat stubble field that held 3000 to 4000 ducks the night before. Had everything set up around 4:00, ducks came 45 minutes early and hit the spread hard, it was like they were attacking us, almost knocking over the robo ducks. After a while they left and most of them stopped flying by shooting hours. Ended up with 7 mallards and a pintail. Got the good action on video though. Sunday we had a field with about 1500 lessers in it. Got to the field around midnight because it was getting scouted pretty hard. A guy showed up about an hour later to the same field, turned out I knew the guy so we decided to hunt together cause neither of us had another field. Put out 33 dozen decoys between our groups, and could have did about the same with 2 dozen. Geese didnt cooperate and the weather didnt help. Ended with 3. At least it cant get to much worse from here on out. Did see a lot more lessers than I thought we would.

·
Registered
219 Posts
HAHAHAHA!!! Usually catch up on that during my Chemistry lecture. Didnt get much this past weekend. When I told my dad we are leaving at 2:15 Saturday morning he thought I was joking. Sleeping in the front seat of a truck isnt as bad as you think. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts