North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this will be my second year m/l and i have always been confused on how much powder to use. i base my target practice at 100 yds and closer. people have told me 150gr. but with that much powder does it really help? i stick to about 110 and i never had a problem hitting the mark help please!!! ml starts soon

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
Shoot whatever gives you best accuracy. I have killed deer with 70 gr behind a 50 caliber round ball. I have never gone over 130 gr with sabots, and I shoot 100 gr with the Maxiballs. I know and old lady who hunts muzzleloader. She has a TC Seneca which is no longer made. It's a 45 cal and she kills deer with a round ball and 50 gr of powder. I don't think she shoots beyond 75 yards.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Like plainsman said, shoot the charge that gives the best accuracy. I shoot my .54 round balls with 75 grains of FFG black powder, my .50 likes a bit more, 80 grains. These loads arent the hottest, but their the most accurate.

It also depends on what your shooting. Pellets or loose powder. With pellets your kind of limited to combinations of number of pellets, i.e. if using 50 gr pellets your limited to a 50 gr. charge, 100, 150, so on so forth. With loose powder you can do more load customization. You'll also find you'll get more consistent velocities (and hence tighter groups) with loose powder.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
northernstates said:
i use jim shockey loose powder and barnes expanders sabots
What caliber? What rifle?

First id check to see what the rifle manufacturer suggests. Max loads and such. Than id play around with what gives the best groups. Change your charge 5 grains at a time (by volume) until you hit a sweet spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.