North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i put way too much on last year. dont remember how much but i had a ton. im ditching that plastic line crap 'cause it stretches and i dont like it. im putting the rope type line on and am trying to figure out how much to put on.

i usually only hunt 8 feet deep max but i dont want to come short if i hunted deeper water. what do you guys run for feet of line?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
There's a couple options. You could gang rig them and have it set so that you just adjust at the anchors. That way you're ready for anything.

Another option is to put 15-20 feet on them and tie the line to the hole on the back of the keel. Then on the front of the keel make a slit from the hole forward. This way you can pull the string through that slit so that it holds in the hole and be prepared to hunt anything from 1 foot of water up to however many feet you feel like stringing up. this is my favorite way to do it.

Or, if you just want to string them without doing anything extra, I would say 12 feet or so. I would go with one of the other options if you have a lot of decoys though. Setting 100 individually rigged decoys that each have 12 feet of string in 6 feet of water can be an absolute nightmare if you have the wind come up on you. I hope you're good with knots and anger management.

·
Registered
210 Posts
We do lots of big water diver hunting here on the great lakes. Couple keys to diver hunting...1) quantity (i.e. visibility) is important...the more the better, and 2) they can be strung out in a line, and don't have to be random like with puddle ducks. So my advice to save time and aggravation is long lines...see this other thread

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=58677

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would gang rig between 8 and 12 deoys on one line with a 25' leader. Was hunting in the Chesapeake so if we were in a shallower area (15') a little bit of drift didn't matter.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The both of best worlds I rig about 8 feet running the last foot through the front eye and can adjust by taking loops off the keel. If I am going to hunt deeper I have a gang rig ready and just clip them on with the 1 foot of line

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Out on the big water I use 40' anchors on my long lines. For slough hunting, about 7' (from the ground to as high as I can reach)...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.