North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wondering how many out there would support the use of e-callers for snows in the fall south of the border? Perhaps something like SK has going, all white dekes and the e-calls ok.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Doesn't SK allow the taking of ducks,specks,canadas,etc. while using the ecaller during the fall? Allowing the use of ecallers during the fall may help harvest a few more snows but that increase during the fall will probably hurt the spring harvest by educating birds for longer periods of time. Plus,it'll hurt other fowl species numbers too. Not for it.

Alex

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats why im asking. I had this conversation with a fella from work today. He's not for it also, saying it will overly educate birds for the spring. I totally agree, but I think its a moot point. The birds are educated by the time they get up here in the spring anyway. By the time they get to ND in the fall, theyve most likely allready heard an ecaller. Their hunted non-stop pretty much from the moment they leave the tundra, to the moment they get back, I dont see ecallers in the fall here adding much to their education.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Heavy Hitter said:
Not for it, enough pressure in the fall the way it is... making it easier to decoy snows negates the need for many people's need to go to Canada.
I never thought about that...it's a good point.

I want to say yes. Ecallers are the best tool ever allowed for snow goose hunting. If they do want to cut down the population, it will dramatically help.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I also would be for it. They get to hear them for a month and a half or more in Canada in the fall before they get to the states why not let us use them too. I also agree they are a very effective tool to harvest snows.

·
Registered
976 Posts
USAlx50 said:
If only SOB's were shot over them, I say yes.
see thats what I'm pondering over, I feel the harvest of cacklers and canada's would also go up. I'm just looking out for DblKluk here, I know he'd bust a nut if the cackler harvest went up :lol: :beer:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Triple B said:
USAlx50 said:
see thats what I'm pondering over, I feel the harvest of cacklers and canada's would also go up. I'm just looking out for DblKluk here, I know he'd bust a nut if the cackler harvest went up :lol: :beer:
:D and if course the harvest for other species would go up. hell half the birds shot in Canada are shot by US hunters anyways?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Triple B said:
USAlx50 said:
:poke: :lol:

I'm torn on the matter but I'd probably rather not see them brought into the fall.
If you want to shoot birds over ecallers go to Canada or wait for the spring.

I think its just another thing to make things "easier" for hunters.

I don't always think the "playing field" should be tilted in the hunters favor.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dblkluk said:
I think its just another thing to make things "easier" for hunters.

I don't always think the "playing field" should be tilted in the hunters favor.
I agree 100% with this statement. However, with the extra "concessions" we have had with these birds (the whole spring season) I dont think its about "easy", its about increasing our overall harvest with these birds and bring their numbers in check. Even with the spring season, we havent dented the population, at best we've reached a stalemate in its growth, but we need to reduce it.

I would worry too about the other species and the increase in their harvest. And I know making a law only allowing snows to be killed over ecallers would be an enforcement nightmare.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I say yes to them in the fall.....however only for SOB'S...trouble is regulating that...lots more species will get whacked if you bring in the electronics.If there could be an enforced regulation on the species, then Im all for it, if not then Im against it....I guess after all that said I must be against it.... :beer:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would have to say I would be against it. There isn't a whole lot of competition our way for fall snows. My fear is that you legalize e-callers in the fall, and the competition goes thru the roof. I am sure not to the level of spring snows, but nonetheless definitely more crowded.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Definite no......just look at how easy it is to decoy in ducks and dark geese in the spring.Limits on both would be cut back to allow for the increase in harvest especially of Whitefronts and mallards.Are we willing to trade lower limits on them for a higher kill of snows?????NOT

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.