North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rigging up a couple motherlines for divers and I was wondering how you guys did yours? How long overall? How many dekes per line? How far apart to space the dekes? Length of dropper? What did you use for weights? What do I use if I'm in really deep water? Sorry about all the questions, but I wanna do it right the first time.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I hunted over a big spread on Green Bay in Wisconsin in a layout boat with one of my friends. He used a coffee can with cement in it for the main weight on the front. He then had about one foot lengths off the main line with the clips like you would use on a dog leash. He put about a dozen decoys on each line about 6-8 ft. apart. He used herters canvas decoys with the larger ring on the bottom for attaching the line. He kept the line wrapped on a wheel that you would use for an extention cord. After dropping the weight down he would just let the boat drift back and connected decoys. There was no weight on the back side. He also had some single decoys with longer rigs to break up the long lines of decoys a bit. Nothing ever got tangled and they were easy to set out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
We do a lot of long-lining here in the great lakes. In fact I bring a couple when I come to ND too for big water diver hunting.

One word of advice...you can't just use any cord or rope for long-lines because most will float...i.e. be very obvious from the air. There are specially made cords for long-lining which sink. Best place to find the long-line material that I've found is "Decoy Rigs" in Indiana. They have no website but their phone number is 219-659-8371. You can get a little catalog from them and order direct.

Here's my typical rig...I use a heavy "mother line", which I make from approximately 3/8" cord, about 100' long, with a loop on each end. From each deke attach about a 12" lead line of approximately 1/4" cord, and use long-line clips on the end of the leads. Setting it is pretty simple...attach a weight to one end of the mother line, reel it out, and as you do, clip on a deke about every 8-10 feet, then put an anchor on the end. drop the whole shebang, and your in business. by using the clips, you can adjust the spacing on your dekes any way you like. If you want to have 5 or 20 on a single line, you can vary it up. If the wind changes direction and you need to reset, you simply pick up the down-wind anchor, and drag the line sideways to get it lined up correctly again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Keep em commin!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts