North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a good plan for making field blinds? my buddy said he had heard there were free plans floating around that used pvc to make blinds just like the eliminators?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I used 1" PVC (white), followed the outline of the finisher. Use bigger connectors on the doors to allow them to swing freely. Used tan duck cloth covered with camo burlap for the covers. I tried velcro patches, originally, to hold fabric on at ends but changed to using zip strips to hold the fabric on. It helps to have a wife that can sew and is willing. The blind worked well....doesn't look as nice as a store bought blind but does the job.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Big cat i have pictures of one i can e*mail you.....i built it with a few modifications and it works ok. The main problem is finding good camo for it. The kind i got is the leaf cut out and it seems to tear in the wind easy or when i assemble and dissasemble. This season i think i am going to buy some burlap camo and sew elastic straps on it and possibly sew it into a big bag for my cover....this would be easier to haul than my blind...although i made my blind to completely dissasemble.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you guys could please send me any blind plans you get before this sat. please do....i need to get some geese :sniper: because that starts on sat. :D :) :( :eek: :-? 8) :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :wink: :beer: :eyeroll: :******: :puke: :withstupid: :sniper:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could you guys please forward me some of hte blind plans you are talking about. I have been working on designing my own. I will complile my ideas with some of these and share them back with you.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Locked wings and good shots!!!

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
hey chris if i e*mail you the pictures i have could you put them on the site for everyone to see?

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
fishhook said:
hey chris if i e*mail you the pictures i have could you put them on the site for everyone to see?
You bet.

I've seen some field blind plans, and have seen some decent homemade blinds that can work. PVC pipe can make an easy frame. I made 2 myself 5 years back. I wanted a lower profile blind and there was nothing on the market at the time. I had the "stubble straps" sewed in at a local sewing company, and it looks slick. The one thing you have to be careful on, is not to have the camo over the frame to be loose. If so, it will flap in the wind and it will flare the birds. I learned the hard way.

I look forward to the plans.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I did mine a bit different than these pictures....I'll explain it later this afternoon.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have also made a layout blind out of pvc. I have no pictures as of right now but when i get them i will be sure to let everyone know. It has 2 doors that siwing open, it folds down flat. Its 6'3X2ft and folds to about 2 4 inches high. I attached stubble straps to it by simply using safety pins that i colored black and some simple black elastic. It works quite well. the next one i make will have a different door style than the one i have right now. I will hopefully get these pictures developed sometime in the near future.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
These pictures were sent to me by someone else and i made my own modifications. This one is made of conduit, but i used pvc pipe.

BASE...make to fit your pickup...mine is about 6'2"....and the width is about 33"

SIDES...Make as high as you would like...mine is about 16-17" i think? I used 3 Tconnectors on each side to assure stability.

TOP DOORS....Make them to fit in the middle and put extra pipes in the middle so you have something to attach the camo too....to assure the doors swing buy the 6 T connectors for the doors 1 size larger than the pvc you are using. This will allow them to swing open and shut freely.

ENDS.....I did both the ends as opposed to just one like this picture....I also had 3 vertical pieces of pvc pipe and one parrallel so l would be able to attach camo seperately and have it tight and also so it would be easier to collapse.

I used black cable ties to attach the camo and spray painted the pvc so the white would be covered.

I used pvc cement to put together the pieces that would always stay together....ie(base) and the sides if the pipe is the same size should tight fit right into the base T connectors and slide out when transporting.

If you've never used pvc cement before it dries really fast and you must be accurate...maybe take a couple test runs. Just measure well and use a hacksaw to cut it. Measuring and getting everything square is the hardest part.

If anyone has any questions let me know, or if you have some modifications let me know...i'm trying to figure out how to make the doors spring loaded...guess i'll keep thinking about that one.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
ps...On the doors put at least 2 more pieces of pvc pipe in the section by using T connectors....this will make it much stronger as long pieces of pvc pipe tend to sag.....plus give you something to attach the camo on.

Its amazing how a T connector makes pvc so much stronger by shortening the original piece.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts