North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
I wanted to offer kudos to Dan for what I thought was a very good presentation and prebuttal of the things the anits were going to come up with. Also Mike Johnson did what I thought was a bang up job of explainging the system and showing how valid the model is. I thought the questions aimed at the antis were more pointed than the questions to the pro 2048 people. One thing that jumped out at me was that excepting Rep Nelsons son, not one person spoke in opposition who was not either a paid spokesman, or somene standing to gain monetarily. I come out with some confidence. Wish I could have stayed for the afternoon session going on as we speak, but simply could not. Wainting to hear what the others from the board thought. Nice to meet many of you. Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
I just got back also.Missed you Tom,didn't get to meet you.I got a lot out of the session and met a bunch of people from here,so now I can put names with faces.
With the wind picking up and snowing,I decided to get home before it got dark.So I missed the afternoon session.
I thought the pro side did a good job...Especially Mark Hamilton and Dan.I had not seen Mike Johnsons presentation and I thought it was well presented.
As Tom said everyone who spoke against it this morning had money to gain.And outside of the 1 outfitter none of them hunt.
I thought Randy Frost did a poor job.He tried to put in way to many numbers and after awhile no one could remember any of it.
I also thought some of the questions by Rep. Nelson were out of line.Isn't his job to be a kind of moderator and not give testimony while he is sitting there?
Most of the pro people were wearing blue buttons,and there seemed to be a lot more with them than without.
Nelson appointed a sub committee to look at amendments they might want to add to the bill.He also said the HNRC will take a vote next Thursday to make a reccommendation.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
I don't know Blatnchfield,but he didn't testify this morning.Maybe this afternoon.Yes there was a guy who testified for GNDA and a woman for Tourism and another woman for Hospitality.None were hunters.The Farm Bureau also had someone testify.Jon Nelsons son testified and a student from NDSU also and of course Frost.the one outfitter was from west of Minot.All against.

Dan...a picture of you testifing is on the front page of todays Minot paper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is wrong with rural ND getting some monetary value out of the wildlife they raise? We would not think of going to the larger ND cities and trying to get on the golf course without paying a green fee yet the wildlife in many cases cost far more for the individual landowner to produce then the greens on the golf course cost the city dweller to maintain. I believe this controversy could be put to rest if the resident ND hunter was just willing to spend a little money in rural ND amd not expect it to be free. After all there is very little left in rural ND aand most of my neighbors drive many miles for the most basic of necessities. To be willing to keep some of these smaller communties going would be a big plus in the locals eyes for the resident hunter if he was willing to support them like the rural resident supports the larger cities everytime he goes to town with his checkbook. Just wondering what the big deal is about spending a little money in rural ND is all about?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I do spend money. Hotels, gas stations, grocery stores, and bars all get some of my business when I am in rural ND hunting and fishing. I am a college student and if every farmer wanted a 50 dollar bill to hunt. I could not afford to do it. Period. If that was the case I would not hunt at all, which means that rural ND gets none of my money.

I know this has been hashed out many times on this forum but, the reason I want to stay in ND after I am done with school is because I love the outdoor oppurtunities here. If I have to pay to hunt I am going to leave this state. I might as well. If I have to pay to hunt I might as well try to make as much money as I can so I can hunt more. Take a guess where there is more money. States other than ND. Which means ND doesn't get to use the education I recieved here or the money that I will be making.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
I live in a small town YEAR ROUND I spend almost all of my money here.When I hunt pheasants I stay in a motel and eat in a resturant,and buy gas there.
I am almost ready to retire.I want to stay on this side of the Red River.But if there is no place to hunt,I will retire in Minn. where the fishing is better,and I don't have to pay to launch my boat.Then ND looses all my money,because I will hunt in Canada.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
We stuck around for the afternoon session....until 4:45. There was another bill scheduled, so testimony didn't start until 3:45. We got on the road before the final testimony by the other side (it would all be the same argument anyways)...so I'm waiting to hear how they went.

We got some great testimony in the afternoon from many from this site. By the end of the day, the other side didn't have too many arguments left...we had squashed many of them.

I felt sorry for Jon Nelson's kid. Not only did his own dad force him to speak (no way he wrote that testimony at that age).... but the kid clearly didn't want to be there (SERIOUSLY bored). Pretty pathetic.

In my opinion, we outnumbered the other side 60/40.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Terrible article, I expect poor journalism like this from the Forum and not the herald.

Not only is the article completely one-sided, but I guess it's more important to interview a teacher bringing students for a field trip rather than those that put in long hours on the issue. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I think the frustration expressed over the story had to do with the implication concerning the relative amount of support/opposition at the hearing yesterday. The supporters (warm bodies present) outnumbered the opponents roughly three-to-two (conservative). There was good testimony on all sides, and pro/con testimony filled all available pro/con allotted time. It was wholly inaccurate to report that "most were critical of it."

Many thanks to all of the Sportspersons who took time from their lives and traveled great distances to be present and give good testimony. It was a great showing.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Nobody deserves a thank you more than you Dan. If anyone on this site had any idea how much time and effort Dan put into this session...they'd be shocked!

Again....thank you Dan. :beer:

And I agree....it was a great showing!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Yeah thanks to all for the ideas & support - it's been a lesson for me :roll: Not sure I like the whole Legislative process :(

Hopefully win or lose or tie - we have all learned - we can no longer trust, or take for granted, things like we did in the past.

But ND will never be the same - But it is still better than most other places & if we have helped keep it that way a little longer than that is good :beer:

Plus were so close to Canada - were crazy not to go there (especially for SOB Hunting & real natural upland birds) :D I would'nt drive more than 5 miles to shoot a pheasant again :******: - Where ever they are, trouble follows & all of em were released at one time - with the idea of giving us more opportunities.

Man only thinks they are in control of anything in the outdoors :roll: - But too many men, in one place, at one time, to do the same things - is controlable & should be.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Dan...if you want to see your picture and read the article...go to minotdailynews.com

Great job!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts