North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have these or has anyone used these decoys? I am considering geting some on sale for 39.99 down from 49.99. I was considering the GHG "HOT BUY" but was tossing around the idea of the 007 Herters decoys. By the way the GHG Hot BUYS are 17.50/DOZEN THIS WEEK AT CABELAS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally I'd say go with the hot buys, you can get twice the amount of the hot buys as the herters for the same price. I personally use hot buys and they seem to work fine. But once again it's not the decoy usually, it's the location.

·
Registered
987 Posts
c_haroldson said:
Personally I'd say go with the hot buys, you can get twice the amount of the hot buys as the herters for the same price. I personally use hot buys and they seem to work fine. But once again it's not the decoy usually, it's the location.
right.. if you get the hot buys though, you should spend a little more to get the ace weights... the cheap ones just don't stay on worth a crap... I am not sure how much more the ace ones are, but i'd go that rought

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The GHG Hot Buys are crap of the first order. When the paint flakes off them in a couple weeks of hard hunting, good luck getting Avery to make good on them, I know this from experience. Don't waste your money on them, in fact don't waste money on Avery stuff in general...

I've been using Herters decoys since the early 70's. I have quite a few Model 63's & 72's and the best way to go is with their burlap wrapped 63's or 72's. They weigh a ton and are expensive, but are pretty much indestructable and will last forever.

If you want reasonably lightweight plastic floating duck decoys you don't have to baby or worry about having the paint come off and that will last your lifetime & then some, don't go cheap, buy G&H's. They will outlast anything else available and if you ever actually do have a problem with them, G&H stands behind them 100%...

Nowdays the only time I get out my Herters Burlap Wraps is when I'm hunting the big water of Devils Lake from my War Eagle. For pothole & slough hunting, I use G&H's exclusively...

·
Registered
136 Posts
i bought 3 doz hot buys and love them they are very toughi think. i have run them over with the boat (it was windy) :oops: , the bag i have is too small so i have to jam them in it, even when covered in mud from field hunting. the paint is still in great shape. i think they are great looking decoys especialy if you can get them for $17.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
NDTerminator said:
The GHG Hot Buys are crap of the first order. When the paint flakes off them in a couple weeks of hard hunting, good luck getting Avery to make good on them, I know this from experience. Don't waste your money on them, in fact don't waste money on Avery stuff in general...

I've been using Herters decoys since the early 70's. I have quite a few Model 63's & 72's and the best way to go is with their burlap wrapped 63's or 72's. They weigh a ton and are expensive, but are pretty much indestructable and will last forever.

If you want reasonably lightweight plastic floating duck decoys you don't have to baby or worry about having the paint come off and that will last your lifetime & then some, don't go cheap, buy G&H's. They will outlast anything else available and if you ever actually do have a problem with them, G&H stands behind them 100%...

Nowdays the only time I get out my Herters Burlap Wraps is when I'm hunting the big water of Devils Lake from my War Eagle. For pothole & slough hunting, I use G&H's exclusively...
Wow, ill take some pictures of my hot buys after I go hunting tomorow and post them up. This will be the second season of using them. The only paint that is coming off it on the tops of the heads.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
So all the poor Avery products I've encountered and all the customer service failures I've experienced trying to get Avery to do anything are simply figments of my imagination?

Thanks, sure glad you set me straight on that. All that Avery Youth Staff malarkey you have up on your signature & avatar certainly lends objective credibility to your opinions...

When you get a few more decades of hunting experience with all types of waterfowling gear on you and get the Avery stars out of your eyes, then come talk to me...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know what your problem is with GHG. I have been hunting for over 16 years and used just about every decoy made. And I hunt over all GHG. I have 1dz hot buys, 2dz oversize mallards, 4dz Blue bills, 1/2dz cans, 2dz ring bills, And 1dz buff's. The paint is just fine. And for realism it kicks the crap out of most other decoy makers. (G&H or Herters). Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think I made my problem with Avery pretty darn clear; shoddy decoys & the worst customer service in the business. Never said there was anything wrong with their realism, just their quality when compared to others..

I fell for the "Averys look good & cost less than Hardcore, Steve Smiths, G&H's ect. bit" a number of years ago too. It turned out to be money ill spent. The objective fact is by & large they aren't holding up to extensive hard hunting as well as higher quality/more costly stuff I have, and some of the Avery decoys, such as their cheapie Hot Buys have been dismal failures.

The objective fact of my experience with Avery is each & every time I've attempted to get any customer service from Avery, they have dropped the ball, or flat out ignored it.

Even casual research reveals that I'm far from alone in my opinion on Avery. Lots of folks have had problems with the paint on their decoys (extremely common complaint with their floating decoys on the waterfowling forums a few years ago...), and lots have had problems with their customer service. Now if you have good luck with them, be darn happy & more power to you.

BTW, I don't have anything personal against WS7 and even admire in some small way his earnest teenaged zeal, just that the blind Avery cheerleading bit gets old at times. I have waders older than the young man and he's being compensated in some fashion by Avery so it's a bit tough for met to give him much expertise & objectivity cred....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I don't want to get into it with everyone about what decoy company is the best and what one is the worst. It all comes down to personal preference. The original thred was what is a good cheep decoy and in my opinion I don't think any of the cheep ones out there will hold up to the abuse that most hunters put them through. They are cheep for a reason. You get what you pay for. And I would rather spend a little more cash and get a better quality decoy then go on the cheaper side and have more decoys. But if you do go with the hot buys or the herters they will both kill ducks. You just might have to replace them a little sooner then you would if you went with the higher end decoys that each company makes. That is just my opinion. Take it how you want.
FYI its Dave Smith decoys not Steve Smith

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would personally go with the hot buys. GHG run a nice line of decoys and you could get twice the amount of hot buys than herters with the same amt. of money. The are both nice looking decoys. If you are looking for quality go with the Herters they might last a little longer too without the paint chipping off.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
The name in my sig has nothing to do with my opinions, but like stated in another post im not arguing about decoys over the internet anymore.

Just to throw that out there, the paint looks fine to me. All 6 of them have been thrown in a duck bag, and this is there second year being hunted over.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you guys keep it up, I am taking my decoys and going home...you are no fun to play with... :eyeroll:

Bottomline...if you take care of your investment, they all will last and the paint will be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These G&H have been hunted 12 seasons. Seven seasons they were carried in a bag and 5 seasons they sat in a pond in sunny southern california. They go back in the pond this fall.

These GHG decoys were hunted 2 seasons. One season they were carried in a bag and one season they sat in the sun. That isn't mud, that is chipped paint. Check out the drake's bill. I treated them no differently than all my decoys. I still have them because I tell myself I'll paint them someday. They were roughly half the price.

Summary: If you like to paint, go cheap and buy GHG decoys. If you like to hunt, buy G&H decoys.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but the keel on the drake mallard G&H deco looks darn new to me. If that sat in a pond for 5 seasons that is the cleanest pond i have ever seen. Are you sure it wasn't a swimming pool :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wash my decoys with a powerwasher and soap at the end of every season, but both sets of decoys are laying on their sides and not exposing the stuff the pond is made of...

BTW I can't get waders to last 5 years, how does the NDTerminater have waders older than WS7? I suppose this thread belongs some place else. Just another forum faux pas. That sounded better than it is spelled...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts