We rolled them using chicken wire and hay and mounted them on a post. We put them up in late winter when the ice was getting bad and punching thru the ice was easier. We hammered the posts in using your standard fence post pounder. Waders are a must as its a messy job! We hauled all the posts and houses around on a 4-wheeler.
We primarily tried to put them up in small brood ponds/sloughs (approx an acre) with a good grass/cattail border and water deep enough to at least last thru most of the summer. We had tremendous success in these types of settings. Its important to put these up in an area where the ducklings can take cover and feel protected.
We also put some up in bigwater settings. If I remember correctly, we did not experience success as quickly in these settings. However, the third year, (I think 96, 97) when things got real wet, they were filled with hens and the damn houses were only a few inches off the water because it was so high. We normally mounted the houses 2-3 feet off the water but it varied depending on the situation.
Maintenance is critical to keeping them productive. We did not take them down from year to year but rather just went around and refilled them with straw/hay and tightened the wire connecting the house to the wooden platform.
Wind is a factor, especially on the prairies, so ensure that you place them so the ends are not open to the prevailing wind direction.
I'm sure I've forgotten something but feel free to ask away.