North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been gone from here for 10 months or so. Interesting in that this place has become your own site Chuck. I really missed being here and checked back every so often. Wonder how much longer it will last.

How are you doing? Hunted at all this fall? I spent a week in Sask and shot a nice Buck here in Minn this year. That's been it. Age is catching up.

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
It appears that the hot topics and adds are about the only life around here. Sounds like you have had a great fall Ken. I have mostly been hunting with grandsons. Youth deer season for the youngest, and his first Canadian geese. Did some bow hunting with two grandsons and just finished the regular gun season. I didn't get in my regular long range shooting.

My metal knees are getting good enough I walked a bit carrying a little 18 inch barrel 308. I only ruined a little neck eat and some rib meat. I had him on camera for three years. In the 2019 photo I was there bow hunting, but let him walk because my wife and I were traveling the next day and were scheduled for 800 miles. I didn't think I could get him processed. Not my best scoring deer, but the heaviest antlers.
Snow Wood Sky Terrestrial animal Twig
Organism Black-and-white Style Line Grass
Flash photography Font Tints and shades Art Monochrome photography

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a nice buck Plainsman. Mine is a little smaller. But I hadn't shot one since a mulie in the badlands in 2018. So I didn't pass this one up. He is all cut up and in the freezer. I started making sausage this week. 15 lbs of polish and 10 lbs of summer sausage. One of my grandsons shot one during the youth season here. My other grandson and my son in law didn't get one, so they will be hunting during muzzleloader season.

We did OK in Sask this year. I was nice to go again after not being able to go last year. Getting old. I also have a metal knee to contend with. Still have to much scar tissue to contend with.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
That's a nice deer Ken.
On a different note looking at your picture we have met somewhere. My old brain can't place it, but I remember your face. I gave presentations to highschools for Earth Day, perhaps there.

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
Ken I have not made sausage for years because of high cholesterol. However I started making sweet Itslian and half way through I changed my mind. I now have 27 lb of sweet/hot Itslian to package. I shoukd make smaller than 1/4 lb test patties. I'm eating my 5th one now. I think its ready.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just put this all in the freezer. The summer sausage is really good. The grandkids eat it all the time.
50% Venison
25% Beef
25% Pork
Same mix for the Polish. Country style with Jack cheese is next.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never been to an Earth Day presentation. Maybe it was at a NDGF Advisory Board meeting?

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
That could be.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Ken, It is good to hear from you and glad things are going good.

I am also happy you two are having success in the deer woods. I haven'
t hunted MN yet but will this weekend for the second shotgun season down in the SE part of the state. Looking for a nice tasty doe after seeing Ken's pictures of summer sausage and stuff.

I just got back from kansas trying to get one with my bow and well... Struck out. Had a 8pt 1.5 year old I could have taken but let it walk to get bigger. Dont need the meat as bad with a 1/2 beef on its way to the butcher.

But I was in IL helping my twin brother on a disable hunt we have been going on for about the last 7 years. It is in the Lost Mound USFW area. The USFW put it on and it is amazing how it is run. They do an amazing job. Well he connected on a good one. So that really is more exciting than anything I do. Also spending time in the blind with my dad and twin is always fun and something to cherish. Now I have to be picky in what I shoot. I have to live up to getting one just as good or bigger. Otherwise he would never let me hear the end of it. (BTW... notice the hats... representing the Vikings down in bear country... LOL)

the second picture is that they can use dogs to help recover deer down in IL. It was fun watching this happen. How the hunt is run is that you cant move too far from your location. We tracked the deer 100 yards and knew we couldn't go out of that area for safety reasons. So we called in the help... that dog found it about 150 yards later. good double lung hit with a 20 ga slug... but man are big bucks tough.

Trophy hunting Hunting Deer Plant Wildlife biologist

Plant Hunting Tire Trophy hunting Wheel

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
About the site is that is is going thru the natural progression of sites. I hate to say it but it is going down hill.

I remember when I first join people were more than happy to give advice, give general location or starting points, etc.

But look how the snow goose migration thread was dead last year... NO UPDATES on where birds where. That is sad.

Plus when everyone went OFF THE WALL when people were posting picture of hunts. Yeah they are "hero" shots but this is a hunting forum and seeing sucessful pics is always fun. especially when I am at my desk and bored in the office when the wind is blowing from the NW and I am not hunting... I can atleast see some pictures of people having success.

Anyways... unless people stop being so sensitive about things like that this site will never get back to what it was.

I remember i posted a how to on painting snow goose rags into blues... but that got deleted during one of the transition and i have since lost those step by step pictures. Also I have been out of the snow goose game for about 7 years.... I would rather chase perch on late ice or wait a month then go get some nice walleyes.

I do try to put up recipes and what not. But even that area has been dead. Even the sports forum is dead. I would think some packer fans would be talking trash about the Vikings this year for sure... especially this sunday. :)

Anyways... glad to see you are back and are doing good. I hope everyone stays healthy and has a great hunting and hard water season. Plus a great holiday season.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice buck.....a real good one. I will be in Chaska for a week at my daughters house. We have twin 13 year old grandsons there. One is a Vikes fan and the other a Pack fan. I told her I will be there in case there is any fighting. Hunting is over for me until next fall. The hunting and gardening is getting tougher every year. Getting old.

Hopefully can get in some ice fishing if the snow doesn't get to deep and I can drive out on a lake.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
Thanks, you too Ken.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts