North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have bought the best boots, the best socks, I have tried the little packages. My feet still get cold. I also have problems with my hands. I believe it is a circulation issue. I really need to do something, because I have missed out on some nice Deer because I'm cold and up walking. I missed a 155 class buck 2 years ago because I got out of my stand and went for a walk to warm up. Wasn't gone 5 min. and he came right under my stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,867 Posts
Get yourself a pair military bunny boots (mickey boots). Warmest boot HANDS DOWN! Not great for walking around (but what heavy winter weight boot really is?).

Ive tried the spendy pac boots. Had one on one foot, a bunny on the other. The pac boot foot was cold inside of an hour, the bunny boot foot never did get cold.
The problem with pac style boots is the liner. If your foot sweats the liner gets damp thus reducing its insulating properties. Theres nothing around it. The liner for the bunny's is sandwhiched in rubber, it CANNOT get wet. Ive gone through the ice with bunnies, my leg above the boot was cold and froze, but my foot was warm once the water warmed up inside. Got home and pour a cup of water out of each boot.
Plus they come in white for when theres snow on the ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
barebackjack said:
Get yourself a pair military bunny boots (mickey boots). Warmest boot HANDS DOWN! Not great for walking around (but what heavy winter weight boot really is?).

Ive tried the spendy pac boots. Had one on one foot, a bunny on the other. The pac boot foot was cold inside of an hour, the bunny boot foot never did get cold.
The problem with pac style boots is the liner. If your foot sweats the liner gets damp thus reducing its insulating properties. Theres nothing around it. The liner for the bunny's is sandwhiched in rubber, it CANNOT get wet. Ive gone through the ice with bunnies, my leg above the boot was cold and froze, but my foot was warm once the water warmed up inside. Got home and pour a cup of water out of each boot.
Plus they come in white for when theres snow on the ground.
The best I have ever worn. All I wear for socks are those real light ones. If I wear a sock at all. The best $40 you will spend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,848 Posts
The problem with them is that walking stresses the wires inside the sock in short order and they don't heat evenly. Moisture control is one of the biggest issues with keeping your feet warm. If you alternately walk and sit it is difficult to find a boot that has the right balance of insulation that is warm but won't cause your feet to sweat. I have tried about everthing and I just can't keep my feet from sweating. Even when I am not moving that much. "Wicking" socks don't even work for me cause they can only handle so much. I have found that my feet stay warmer overall in a lightly insulated boot than in a heavily insulated one because they tend to stay a bit dryer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
dakotashooter2 said:
The problem with them is that walking stresses the wires inside the sock in short order and they don't heat evenly. Moisture control is one of the biggest issues with keeping your feet warm. If you alternately walk and sit it is difficult to find a boot that has the right balance of insulation that is warm but won't cause your feet to sweat. I have tried about everthing and I just can't keep my feet from sweating. Even when I am not moving that much. "Wicking" socks don't even work for me cause they can only handle so much. I have found that my feet stay warmer overall in a lightly insulated boot than in a heavily insulated one because they tend to stay a bit dryer.
This is my problem too. I sweat so dang much, however I also have poor circulation due to an injury, so it's a crappy situation.

Does anyone know if there's medicine that can help with poor circulation?


I mean, my circulation is bad. If it's 55 degrees out, my body's warm, but my feet and hands are freezing. Even if I'm in my nice warm house.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,867 Posts
Do you guys that suffer from "poor circulation" have extremely LOW blood pressure?

I know several people with the same cold hands/feet problem, they all have VERY low blood pressures, wonder if thats related?

Any MD's in the house?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,026 Posts
By no means an MD, but have spent quite some time around hospitals and illnesses. Both Low and high blood pressure could be influencing circulation. Anemia could be the culprit. Deficiencies in Vitamen B12 or B6 can also be a factor. If its directly from an injury I am not sure there is any easy fixes. As an immediate remedy I do believe taking aspirin can help you out, but if it is a chronic problem, might be time to consult an actual physician. As a natural remedy I do know that adding cayenne and ginger and fibre into your diet can improve the circulatory system. By no means does that mean your extremities aren't going to get cold but improving it may make you more comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
barebackjack said:
Do you guys that suffer from "poor circulation" have extremely LOW blood pressure?

I know several people with the same cold hands/feet problem, they all have VERY low blood pressures, wonder if thats related?

Any MD's in the house?
I don't know, I've gone to the doctor recently and they said my blood pressure's fine.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
DodgeLynn said:
By no means an MD, but have spent quite some time around hospitals and illnesses. Both Low and high blood pressure could be influencing circulation. Anemia could be the culprit. Deficiencies in Vitamen B12 or B6 can also be a factor. If its directly from an injury I am not sure there is any easy fixes. As an immediate remedy I do believe taking aspirin can help you out, but if it is a chronic problem, might be time to consult an actual physician. As a natural remedy I do know that adding cayenne and ginger and fibre into your diet can improve the circulatory system. By no means does that mean your extremities aren't going to get cold but improving it may make you more comfortable.
Aspirin thins your blood right?

Won't that make you colder?

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
don't know about the vitamins, but blood pressure is fine. I think it is more age and how many times I have gotten my hands and feet way too cold. I don't like the hand warmer packets, because they make me sweat and then when they wear down I am really cold.

I purchased a rechargeable/ battery heated vest late last winter, can't wait to try it, it actually has 3 or 4 heat settings, feels good while wearing it around the house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Kelly Hannan said:
don't know about the vitamins, but blood pressure is fine. I think it is more age and how many times I have gotten my hands and feet way too cold. I don't like the hand warmer packets, because they make me sweat and then when they wear down I am really cold.

I purchased a rechargeable/ battery heated vest late last winter, can't wait to try it, it actually has 3 or 4 heat settings, feels good while wearing it around the house.
Ha, I saw those at Sportsmana nd thought about getting one, but I can't afford it right now.

Some people on here said the wires get broken during use.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought mine from E-bay. I wore it around the house several times, I like it so far.

Has anyne had experience with the boot insulators, they look like big slippers that you put on over your boots.

I just don"t want to buy another pair of boots. I did check out the MIckey Boots, I have them saved in my shopping cart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
Kelly Hannan said:
I bought mine from E-bay. I wore it around the house several times, I like it so far.

Has anyne had experience with the boot insulators, they look like big slippers that you put on over your boots.

I just don"t want to buy another pair of boots. I did check out the MIckey Boots, I have them saved in my shopping cart.
Yeah, I had them and took them back. They didn't work for me.

However, my friends (who have no physical problems) swear by them. Him and his son both use them.

I won't be able to stay warm until I control my sweating problem, then I can worry about staying warm. (I tried footpowder and anti-perperant for the feet even).

I use the disposable warm foot soles, and they work for a few hours. But their expensive and aren't resusable. I also sweat with them too, but they keep u warm for a few hours.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,848 Posts
Another thing I have notice in my own personal experience about keeping warm in general is keeping hydrated. Cold weather de-hydrates us but we don't get thirsty as we would in warmer weather. Drinking even cold fluids during cold weather definately makes a difference. While many drink hot coffee to warm up on cold days I think it is the hyration rather than the heat from the coffee that actually warms us up. The suprising thing is it's pretty effective yet you never really hear much about it.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top