North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bill was voted down yesterday...64-27.It would have allowed all non-res. under 16 to buy a res. license.

Rep Clark from Fargo said the state shouldn't allow youth from all other states to hunt at the resident rates because ND would give up all of its bargaining rights to get the same agreement with other states.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I don't necessarily agree with the ideology the rep gave. Set the example and let the other states follow. Allowing youth to hunt at a lower rate encourages parents to bring along there son or daughter. Which in turn exposes that youth to a very good hunting expierience. Exposure to hunting at a young age is so critical to that person becoming passionate about the outdoors. Politics take a backseat on this issue in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
GG, I also feel this was a good bill for the reasons you state. Heck, most kids that could have taken advantage of it come from states our youth wouldn't want to hunt in anyway. But, there are a few states not offering this same perk that do have hunting opportunities our youth could benefit from. Tough call.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree that this was a good bill and I supported it. So what if other states don't offer the same privilege to our kids. If hunting is to survive it must be passed on to the future and it may take only a single hunting trip to North Dakota to cement a love for the outdoors in any kid. I am really surprised this bill was killed. It's kind of sad, really. I suppose there will be some that will say those damn resident hunters killed it but that isn't true.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts