North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help here. I would like to purchase about a gallon of wild hazelnuts, bearded hazelnuts, for a grow out project for the Barnes County Wildlife Federation. A few of us are trying to establish another mast crop in the Sheyenne River Valley for wildlife. Last year I was given nuts from north central MN, and was able to germinate about 200 which grew well. These hazelnuts grow in the woods around Devils Lake, and in the Turtle Mountains. The other source would be MN or Canada.

If you know of a elementary or high school club that wants to raise money by picking nuts, please email me. The hazelnuts should be ripe in a few weeks. Thanks. DM

·
Registered
375 Posts
Dick,

I don't have much experience with Hazelnuts, but I have been told that buckeyes grow really well here. I have someone (he has grown quite a few from nuts he has picked up from a tree where he lives) who is going to give me some and I am going to plant some in our block planting. Might be another type of tree to try.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
muzzy, I think I pulled a boner again. After reading some of the info you sent and pulling up more on dogpile.com, I should not have pitched the nuts that did not germ. Looks like some of those little guys might need a year in limbo to make the decision to grow. If the snow melts next week, I'm going to scrape them up and try em again. If it works I'll save you some. I found a list where they want $5 for 30 nuts!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts