North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a field that we can hunt for our opener here on saturday, but the farmer asked us to not drive in the field. What would be the easiest way to carry 4 FA blinds, 1 Doz. BFs, and 3 Doz. shells, guns, blind bags, etc? We're trying to use a many shells as we can to save space hauling. We have to haul them about 300 yards to get on the X. What would you do?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Id set up the blinds, fill em with as many dekes as you can, and drag em out.

Id can the blind bags. If you cant carry it in your pockets, you dont need it. Put the calls on your neck, a few boxes of shells in the blind, and go.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Yeah, like BBJ said, just be smart about it. Only bring the stuff you need. If you're doing it in a field that isn't muddy it won't be that bad. When you're packing 1000 sillosocks, blinds, e-caller w/ deep cycle battery, etc., a half mile through the mud, then you're working.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Here is an unbelievably easy way to do this,

Get about a 20 foot, 1inch piece of PVC or alluminum pipe. Slide the pole through all the feet on your FBs, then feed the pipe through the stubble straps on the blinds, put the shell bags shoulder straps through the pipe, and you're good to go!!

Have one guy on each end of the pole and you'll be golden!! One trip in and out

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
barebackjack said:
Id set up the blinds, fill em with as many dekes as you can, and drag em out.
This or sleds equipped w/ some type of cover and bungee cords if need be. (The big black sleds you use to carry big game found at some local hardware stores and/or outdoors retailer.) :wink:

Laying out a tarp and wrapping everything up in it would work wonders also.

All too often we find ourselves loaded to the max making 3-4 trips though. Makes grabbing the calls fun.. :roll: :lol:

I will say it's times like these that the 6 slot bags pay themselves off in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I use my wheeled deer carrier when I have to walk in...

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
I would hate to stuff gear in my blind, and while dragging it out, have your stuff fall out.....JMO

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought a decoy cart about 4 years ago and i use it all the time. I use to put everything on my back and go but now its so much easier. Most of the time i put 2 blinds, 2 guns, call bag, and decoys and we are good to go. They are worth it and i know cabela's has them on sale during a lot of their retail ads the rest of the year. I've used game carts as well and they still work good.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Get a cheap tarp big enough to pile everything on and drag it out there. It works good.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
diver_sniper said:
When you're packing 1000 sillosocks, blinds, e-caller w/ deep cycle battery, etc., a half mile through the mud, then you're working.
Amen to that! :beer:
Our first e-caller about ended us. She was a heavy b*tch.

We've just usually stuffed our blinds full of crap. No extra trips to take a sled or cart out, or having to hide it. A SUB with a bungee around the doors to keep em shut will hold alot of gear.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I sometimes use my large ice fishing sled and pull it out. It pulls easy on wheat stubble and corn but hard on beans. Some farmers here won't let us drive out right now due to wetness. Do you have access to a 4 wheeler and light utility trailer? they leave very little impressions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
verg said:
I sometimes use my large ice fishing sled and pull it out. It pulls easy on wheat stubble and corn but hard on beans. Some farmers here won't let us drive out right now due to wetness. Do you have access to a 4 wheeler and light utility trailer? they leave very little impressions.
we do, but the farmer doesnt want us driving anything in the field because it is freshly worked. I'll call and see if that would work, but I'm not sure.

David

·
Registered
733 Posts
another idea if you have to walk is to make a couple trips with a few dekes the night before when the birds leave. I have done this. I carry out a load or two in the dark the night before and leave it there. Makes the morning haul a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts