North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it gun season on friday already???

What happened to the time? It seems like yesterday I was biding my time on stand, going "I have a whole month till gun season", and now its here!

Im planning on hunting HARD this week. I hate gun season, makes all my guys go nocturnal, especially now that they've finally really started to move. :( Plus I hate wearing orange. I wish theyd move it back a week, give us real hunters :lol: :lol: some more rut time to ourselves. Not like most of the gun hunters are using any rut tactics anyway.

Ill probably sit all day friday and saturday, ive had decent luck in past years doing that, but than ill take a "break" for a couple weeks, maybe shoot some geese.
Anybody else opting NOT to shoot a deer with a gun this year? How many of ya out there will try to tag your gun tag with your bow?

Stay safe, dont let any orange gang bangers shoot ya. And remember, if something starts zipping through the treetops, its probably a good sign to climb down and seek cover.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I have also had good luck bowhunting during the first weekend. The deer really move!

I shot my deer last year on Friday night of opener!

I will be doing alittle herd reduction on Friday!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
No buck rifle tag for me this year. Hoefully there will be some ducks around to chase this weekend. If not, I will be braving it in a treestand with the bow. I wish it was turkey weekend all ready.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I'll be sitting in mine the second weekend of deer gun season!! Wearing the orange and hoping for Mr. Big!!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have some non concurrent doe tags left and still have my archery tag. Probaly going to be going afield with bow and rifle. Try to bring a buck in but if a long shot at a doe is there game over. Have to stock the freezer full this year and not taking any chances at eating any tags. Im going all out before the gun season opens for sure. We'll see, wife still wants to bow hunting during rifle season, shes going to be toting both I think as well, kind of a pain but we have no gun buck tags.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
RiverRob said:
I have some non concurrent doe tags left and still have my archery tag. Probaly going to be going afield with bow and rifle. Try to bring a buck in but if a long shot at a doe is there game over. Have to stock the freezer full this year and not taking any chances at eating any tags. Im going all out before the gun season opens for sure. We'll see, wife still wants to bow hunting during rifle season, shes going to be toting both I think as well, kind of a pain but we have no gun buck tags.
Not being the patrolling police, just curious... is it legal in ND to bring both a bow and rifle to the treestand?

·
Registered
394 Posts
bretts said:
RiverRob said:
Not being the patrolling police, just curious... is it legal in ND to bring both a bow and rifle to the treestand?
Nope. If you're bowhunting only a pistol is allowed.
http://gf.nd.gov/regulations/deer/index.html#firearms

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Drake Jake said:
barebackjack said:
give us real hunters some more rut time to ourselves.

Stay safe, dont let any orange gang bangers shoot ya.
those statements really piss me off.
Well bud, you must have selective reading. You forgot to add the stupid smiling face things to your quote. Or are you not in the mood to take a joke today?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always thought you could carry a rifle during rifle season and still shoot one with your bow if you wanted to? I thought you could fill your rifle tag with a bow if you wanted to? Anyone know for sure. I know during bow only season you can't but for some reason I thought you could during rifle season??? :huh:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
stickem14 said:
I always thought you could carry a rifle during rifle season and still shoot one with your bow if you wanted to? I thought you could fill your rifle tag with a bow if you wanted to? Anyone know for sure. I know during bow only season you can't but for some reason I thought you could during rifle season??? :huh:
You can certainly fill your rifle tag with your bow during the regular gun season, however you CANNOT bring more than one weapon with you to the stand unless it's a pistol, but not to be used in taking whitetails.

·
Registered
394 Posts
All legal bow equipment as listed in the deer bow season section is legal during the deer gun season.
Yes, you can use your bow for your rifle tag, or you can fill your bow tag during rifle season as well, with your bow of course.

No firearms, except handguns, may be in the hunter's possession while hunting with a deer bow license. However, handguns may not be used in any manner to assist in the harvest of a deer with an archery license.
I've always took it that if you plan on filling your bow tag during rifle season, you cannot have a rifle with you in your possesion, even if you have a rifle tag. Does anyone know if this is wrong?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Beat me to it bretts. :p
however you CANNOT bring more than one weapon with you to the stand unless it's a pistol, but not to be used in taking whitetails.
That's how I've always interpreted it as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i spoke with a DNR Guy a couple years ago and asked that question and the response that he gave me was that if you not within a reasonable distance from you dwelling that you can secure it whare you stay ( if you are camping in you vehicle or base camp ) but durring that actual harvesting portion you cannot have it with you if you are using a bow tag. if you only have concerent season tags or a rifle tag you can have anything you want on you. this was ND the MN DNR say that you cant have it on you at all untill the Harvest is reported. now this is just my sea lawering but whare i am going the its about a 90% chance that if i get checked that it will be the same warden.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Drake Jake said:
barebackjack said:
give us real hunters some more rut time to ourselves.

Stay safe, dont let any orange gang bangers shoot ya.
those statements really piss me off.
Easy rod, easy. Just messing around.

As for the bow/gun issue. I was always under the assumption that if its a rifle tag, and rifle season is open you could have any combination of any legal weapon with you. Likewise for concurrent doe tags, given the season for that paticular weapon is still open.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.