North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
Just got back from our annual hunting trip. 22 hours of straight driving and worth every hour of it. We couldn't have asked for a more successful week. The duck hunting was challenging, we had to scramble hard to find ducks. That made it all the more rewarding. My dog got her nose into quite a few pheasants. We talked to many landowners and were treated like we were long lost friends, even from the few that didn't allow us to hunt on their property. We had some opportunities to swap stories with some fellow hunters (local and NR's). We even had an opportunity to help with a small cattle drive (something that you never see in our area). All in all, I don't think you can find another state that has so much to offer. Thank you to all that participate in the PLOTS program, to those that graciously allowed us to hunt on their land, and to those that treated us so well. I hope that we can continue to visit for many years to come.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good time! I'm a lifelong ND guy and have to agree with you on the beauty of this state. I've traveled the world and was just sharing with some folks this weekend that we pheasant hunt with, that ND ranks right up there in it's own way with some of the tropical paradises I've been to. Got to love it especially this time of year!

By the way, what part of PA are you from? I have family north of Pittsburg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with you. We got back Saturday after 7 days of ducks and geese. The people are phenomenal. We burned through 12 - 13 gallons of gas each day scouting for the next. But that is more fun than the actual shooting - the anticipation and excitement of what the next morning will bring. You get out of it what you put into to it.

We met a local on our first afternoon out there and hunted with him Saturday morning. Now we have a new friend and local scout!! :beer: Can't argue with that.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hooked4life said:
I agree with you. We got back Saturday after 7 days of ducks and geese. The people are phenomenal. We burned through 12 - 13 gallons of gas each day scouting for the next. But that is more fun than the actual shooting - the anticipation and excitement of what the next morning will bring. You get out of it what you put into to it.

We met a local on our first afternoon out there and hunted with him Saturday morning. Now we have a new friend and local scout!! :beer: Can't argue with that.
Doesnt hurt at all to buddy up with a person from the area. Glad to hear your trips were well worth it. Too bad we got all the rain so late in the year though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have also had great experiences with ND people! We have made a point to always stop and talk/meet with the farmers...and even give them a rooster or duck if they ask--some of the older fellas wish they could go out with us, but say they'll settle for a fresh pheasant or duck. We're heading up early Saturday morning for some duck hunting thru election day...are the fields still too muddy for field hunting or does it depend on where you go?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
planetclaire said:
We have also had great experiences with ND people! We have made a point to always stop and talk/meet with the farmers...and even give them a rooster or duck if they ask--some of the older fellas wish they could go out with us, but say they'll settle for a fresh pheasant or duck. We're heading up early Saturday morning for some duck hunting thru election day...are the fields still too muddy for field hunting or does it depend on where you go?
I second what Fubar said. Just stay away from the low areas and you should be just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts