North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a GPS hand held unit. i want something that will store location of some new hunting spots and locations on the lake for fish. i am not a computer wiz bang so i need something really easy to learn and use. thanks. marty

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Garmin in my view.Simple and reliable.
I have a Lowrance I-Finder as well and its good but a little more complicated and some have had issues with uploads.Lowrance runs Nav topos very well though.

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
I have had a few of them. They all work, but for some reason the set up on the Garmins and my brain match up best. Like you I'm not a computer whiz either. I find it easy to get the Garmin to do what I want it to. I had to sell my Magellan before I set it up on a post and blew a 30 caliber hole through it. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I used an etrex this summer for work and it would get you to within forty feet or so of a point you had made. Maybe it wasn't a really new one? I dont think it was good enuff for spot on a spot fishing.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Garmin 60 csx. I got the topo 2008 chip with it and it helps a lot with showing small lakes and sloughs etc. I used it opening day for ducks here as we had thick fog and navigated the boat with it right to my hunting spot. Totally saved my behind that morning already. Great tool to have in the blind bag for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
They all work well. I think if I were to buy a new one it would be a
Lowrance. I dislike Garmin for the fact that they only support their software and maps. Others like Magellan and Lowrance will also give you the ability to upload other formats other than just their own. I have found them all to be easy to use, with most of them being much the same with different terms for the functions. If Trimble would come out with a more affordable handheld that supported aerial and satellite images with the maps, I would buy a new one. For now I will stick with my OLD Magellan and wait for the new frequency to be released around 2010.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.