North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week end of early season was my worst weekend of hunting ever!!! The geese wouldent go to the same field more than 1 time so scouting was pointless. So we tried to just traffic them. That dident do anything either. We never shot a goose all weekend. What did I do wrong what could I have done differently? Thanks for any addvice.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
You didnt get screwed man, you were hunting!!! The birds wont just lay down their feet to your blazin guns. You have to work your butt off and stick with it

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Ha Ha these posts always make me laugh. Look he is right you arent guaranteed anything. I have went out many times and not shot anything. Then I have went out time and killed a limit. Even the best get shut down sometimes. Just cause you watch a show or see pictures of limits on here doesnt mean that everyone does it everyday.

Think about your process. Learn how to read the birds in the field you are scouting. Try hunting in the afternoons. Try more deeks or try less. Practice your calling more. Brush your blinds in better. There is a million things you could be doing wrong. or maybe your not doing anything your just hunting. And there are no promises.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
waterfowler22 said:
The geese wouldent go to the same field more than 1 time so scouting was pointless.
First off, I am not trying to pick on you at all, just offering some constructive criticism. When you say that "scouting was pointless" it kind of raises a red flag. Scouting is the most important part of goose hunting IMO, especially this early. Many guys put on hundreds of miles over a weekend doing their scouting. Keep searching for them birds, and keep hunting them hard.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
They can have a morning feeding spot and an evening feeding spot not one and the same. Many times strong winds will make the geese shortstop to feed. I bet you had wind.

The cranes are floating in the sky as I write this, they sound awesome.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are right i know i was expecting way to much and we did scout and try to pattern the birds but maybe we werent paying attention to the little things. Thanks for the addvice and ya we did have a flag.

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
waterfowler22 said:
Last week end of early season was my worst weekend of hunting ever!!! The geese wouldent go to the same field more than 1 time so scouting was pointless. So we tried to just traffic them. That dident do anything either. We never shot a goose all weekend. What did I do wrong what could I have done differently? Thanks for any addvice.
Constructive Critisism

1.) Geese don't always go to the same field to feed. There are many different reason. All the food is gone, something scared them out, heavy wind or rain will make them go other places. They figure out what means hunter. Meaning if they ssee headlights in the morning that throws a red flag for them. Also slamming doors.

2.)Scouting is a must. I don't scout as much as I should simply because I do not have the time and I live at least an hour from where I hunt. With that being said, I do socut year around and use google earth to find out where birds are roosting and go from there. Also birds tend to have the same roost year after year and they also have a pattern of what they do. Even if you don't have the time or moeny to scout. Go to a field set up all of your looker dekes(no more the you can fit in your vehicle so you can pick up quick and find where there birds are) and just see what is flying and where and they go after then. I have done this many times and have killed bird and found where they were feeding too. I say use the lookers because it looks like they just landed and found a new food source. The is my opinion though.

3.) Running traffic isn't easy but it is rewarding. I think that there is an art to it though.

4.) Just because you didn't pull the trigger doesn't mean you did anything wrong. It just means that you didn't do your homework on the birds or you just had some bad luck. Every hunter(except the people who call themselves hunters but actually shoot penned in animals) has had weekend evens weeks where they don''t pull the trigger. Last year I would set up in fields trying different thigns just to see how the birds responded. I would suggest do this with a friend so it doesn't get boring. Learn what works and what doesn't and then try to figure out why.Besides if you always got something it would be called killing not hunting. I hate this quote but it is true. You have to taste defeat to truely understand why winning taste so good.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
buckseye said:
*sigh*

I really miss hearing that buckseye...

I need to find some of that online to listen to at night, mixed in with some migrating geese too..

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
R y a n said:
buckseye said:
*sigh*

I need to find some of that online to listen to at night, mixed in with some migrating geese too..
Or just move your arsee back

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
USSapper said:
R y a n said:
buckseye said:
*sigh*

Or just move your arsee back
Soon brother.

Soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts