North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
247 Posts
probably one of the better hatches in my area this year....birds everywhere hardere then hell to find the honey holee.......really wont stay in a field for more than 2 days

· Registered
440 Posts
here in north dakota i think the local geese r down in numbers. The area that i hunt i have noticed a big decline in the local geese. When the early goose season first started there were geese every where. u had no problem finding a field to hunt. The last couple of years it has been harder to find a field. I have had to put a ton of hours in scouting this year. It didnt help that the game and fish opened the season in august. I think that was the stupidest thing they could have ever did. The birds got educated quickly and they got pressured to hard and moved out of the area. I think that the early season should only be in certain countys that have a lot of problems with geese and leave the other countys alone. It is actually hurting the population of locals because people dont want to drive as far because of gas prices so alot of them are staying closer and then alot of birds get shot in a area. I hope they dont have the august season next year. that is my 2 cents!!

· Registered
90 Posts
Over here in Washington, we are seeing an early migration of lessors and taveners. One of the best early migrations I have seen in a while. Not sure what is causing this as the weather is really mild. We saw a high of 70 degrees today. And a wind of 40mph. The goose hunting was great today and we ended up the morning at 8:30 with our 20 geese. Paul

· Registered
120 Posts
"here in north dakota i think the local geese r down in numbers. The area that i hunt i have noticed a big decline in the local geese. When the early goose season first started there were geese every where."

Not to stir the pot but wasn't the early season established to reduce the population of local birds. I'd rather shoot them than see the farmers sight in their deer rifles and leave them to rot. Either way you look at it, geese are gonna get killed. I see it as a unique opportunity for us sportsman to take advantage of and most likely, won't last for very much longer.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
I dont believe the numbers have went down at all. I'm having one of my best years goose hunting. I actually think that the resident numbers are up or at least in the area's that i hunt. We have also seen plenty of black geese migrators this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.