North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to hire a guide to hunt snow geese in manitoba? I know for deer you do and it really sucks cause my wifes brother farms up there and i can't go deer hunting with him cause 1) they don't let nonresidents rifle hunt in southern manitoba & 2) were you can hunt you must have a licensed guide.

Wondering if any of this applies to waterfowl? Anyone know.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Do most of you guys prefer Sask to Manitoba and if so why? Most the posts I see are about Sask. It looks like Manitoba has some good size birds (take em video series).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Generally success is a little higher for snow geese in Sask, why? I don't think anyone knows for sure. As far as overall hunting, from what I have heard ducks are usually a little better in Manitoba, but they don't get the lessor migration of Canadas like Sask does. I am only speaking from what I have heard though, I only have experience in Sask.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have read through most of the forums now and I too was wondering if anyone goes hunting in Manitoba. I am planning on going hunting in canada next fall and wasn't sure which one was the way to go. Sounds like everyone loves Saskachwan. I would go mainly for the snow geese and specks so from you I hear sask is the place to go. If any of you have tried hunting in Manitoba, how was it?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've hunted Manitoba once or twice and it's great! :wink:

In Manitoba we don't get many specks, unless your on the western edge of the province. Snow Geese are a hit or miss kind of thing, unless again you go to the western edge of the province.

Canada geese is what Manitoba known for, we mostly get the Giants. Best areas for Canada geese is the Interlake (between Lake Winnipeg, and Lake Manitoba) Duck can be found all over the province depending on what you want to shoot.

For the spring snows, I don't think there are quite as many that come through as Saskatchewan, but we also have less hunters hunting them. Again, the further west you go for spring snows the better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts