North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we set up 9 dozen real geese pro grade II's . . . landed the first group of 20. Ended up with our limit by 8:30. The great thing is we were out of the field by 9:00. For me it's no more trailers, no more baggin fullbodies, no more take hours to set up/pick up. The spread fits in the back of my suburban with layouts and plenty of extra room

One side of the spread.

The results.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Glad to see silos are working for you!! They never seemed to work well for us.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Shhh. Dont tell people they dont need FB's. Silo might be less effective if everyone starts using them. I think RGII's look great in the field. The darks in the background of this pic are RGII's and I think they look awesome.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
As long as you are where the birds want to be you could have NO decoys and do well. If you are trying to run traffic, it is another story!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
There are some big name guides on the Eastern Shore that run all silos. Traffic, resident birds. And it seems they do well.

I believe the new silos work in all situations. Like it was said before, if you are on the X anything will work. I don't see a difference running traffic with all FB's or all silos. You've got to have the #'s either way and good calling to back it up.

Everyone complains about glare, but with the new Pro I and II's, that isn't an issue. I believe on a sunny morning with FB's you can have the same glare issues. Experienced it this early season on a couple occasions. Frozen ground does present a challenge but an 18V drill will fix that, or a slide hammer.

I believe it's a metal thing for most hunters. I personally love the portability and good looks of the silos. Thinking of going to all silos with some SS mixed in. But, that FB mentality is hard to get out of my mind!

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
I don't think that then can out compete fb's but they work just as good. Im a little biased because all I run are sillo's but I have been hunting in MN and ND with sillo's. I every time I have hunted except a few times. I have put the sillo's on one side and the FB's on the other. The fullbodies were either GHG or BF or both. Honostly I have had more geese land in the sillos then I have ever before. But remember its still early. I am running only sillo's from now on and I am thinking of getting some ss to put in too.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The above hunt was a traffic. We landed the first flock of 20 right in with the RGII's. One thing is you need more silos than full-bodies, that is the only draw back. For me it's hunting smarter not harder, silos IMO is hunting smarter. Like I said I can fit my spread plus my partners in my suburban, that 14 dozen decoys. Look at Real Geese's pro-staff: Darrel Wise, Sean Mann, Josh Neuwiller, Kevin Popo, Keith McGowan, Craig McDonald and Wade Walling. That is a who's who of goose hunting.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.