North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think hunting in ND is getting harder due to the farmers?
Yes947.37%
No947.37%
don't hunt because of it!15.26%

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can remember about 6 years ago when hunting used to be nothing but fun, now my hunting partners and I have to worry about getting kicked off unposted land at 7:00 in the morning cause the farmer has guys in pits 1 MILE AWAY! That guy was the biggest prick Ive ever met. We were parking the truck after setting up all of the decoys and he pulls up and says "What the [email protected] are you doing on my land" and I said "Well were goosehunting" and he replied "Who the hell gave you permission to be on here?" I just said that there was no posted signs indicating who's land it is and would be impossible to know. He didnt say anything and just said "Get the f*ck off". Well I guess you can't argue with that but you a$$hole farmers out there need to post your land properly. Do you know much time and money gos into this stuff? There were 2 sections of land where we were hunting, 2 posted signs. 8 quarters and he put up 2 posted signs. They werent even close to the field we were hunting in. Well I just needed to vent a little bit on the subject. I know not all farmers (but most) are a$$holes when it comes to hunting on their land. Only exception (that Ive came across) is Clarence, Blanche, Harold and Alan Okerson, who all have land at Audubon. They are probably the only people that would let you hunt on their land without having to pay or kicking you a$$ off at 7:00am so I thank them for that. Sooner or later people are going to stop hunting all together and just fish. If that happens I hope the geese, ducks and all other wildlife rip their land to sh*t.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I feel your frustration. Most farmers in many areas of ND still will let you hunt if you ask. My suggestion would be to get away from that area...there seems to be concentrations of geese everywhere in the state..you just need to drive around and find them.

As many have said on this forum, it is important to ask the farmers for permission to hunt, even if it's not posted. Call the farmer with the closed posting sign to the land you're huntng...he'll know who owns the adjacent land.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Watch your tongue danreg.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Be prepared and do your homework, find out who owns the land and you will not have this problem in the future.

Sounds to me like you are a spoiled little big city kid that thinks the farmers are there to cater to YOU.
Sorry, it don't work that way SPARKY.

cootkiller

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Danreg, I can understand your frustration, but remember these guys are a fraction of the whole, Nd has the best landowners anywhere. Just get away from that area. Lots of guys wanting to make money in that area (resource whores).

Cootkiller,
Spoiled little big city kid?????
Does the fact I'm from Minot make me a spoiled little big city kid too??
How about someone from Devils Lake? a spoiled Littler big city kid??
Just wondering...

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I'm having a feeling when you said pits it was the Evenson's. They never posted their land in September in the past, only before October. They always let me hunt when I asked early, but when October came around it's $20/gun.

Again, just a shot in the dark, but if it is indeed the Evansons you just should've asked.

Watch the stereotypes coot. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it wasn't Evenson's. They are pretty nice but we don't even try with them anymore. It's always $20 a gun, tried even in early Sep. last year, Same thing.. Thats fine at least you know their land is posted and not to hunt on it without asking. You dont have to worry about getting kicked off at 7:00 in the morning. The farmer was from Benedict and his name was Robert Voth. Im not a spoiled city boy either. I put in my time scouting for geese on it the night before trying to find land where it is not posted and calling about 1/2 a dozen farmers to see if we can hunt. We respect the farmer's as well as their land so dont call me a spoiled city boy.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I only used a stereotype because the original post used one.
My father and brother are both farmers and I don't think that they have ever been jerks when it comes to hunting. If a farmer doesn't want you hunting on his land he has every right to kick you off.
If he had a group set up a short distance away I can understand his reason for not wanting someone else so close.

danreg, glad to hear that you aren't a spoiled little big city kid.
I may live in DL but I'm FROM maza. Always was always will be.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have to agree with getting away from the whole area. Don't go and spend even a $1 in the area when other places are more friendly and open to hunters. It really is too bad when you hear stories like this, but most landowners are pretty good about access.

Don't appreciate the spoiled city boy comment......

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know he has every right to kick us off and I respect that, all im saying is post your land properly and we wouldn't have this problem. I prefer to hunt on posted land so we don't have to get up at 4:00 in the morning to beat everyone there. Its nice knowing that you will be the only one on that field. If they dont post it then there is know way of knowing. Farmers should repect the hunters just as well as we do them. Most do, but that assh*le didnt respect us at all, so I have no respect for him.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Dan,I have never hunted that area ,and avoid highly pressured areas like the plague.Just remember farmers are just like anyone else,some are jerks and many are very friendly.If you talk to some of his neighbors you might be surprised to find that they may feel the same way you do.Dont try to group all of them in the same category.Another thing about allways trying to ask for permission first,how many of you guys set up in the morning and had the landowner show up with the chisel plow ready to work the field?A situation easily avoided.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard to know who's field it is if it's not posted. Only way we knew is when the farmer told us and kicked us out. Thats all Im saying.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It still cracks me up that people get ****** off when someone kicks them off PRIVATE land. You dont know how good you have it here in ND. When i moved here and wa informed of the trespass laws....or lack thereof....i was shocked.

IMHO This is a PRIME example of why asking before you hunt is best. If you dont ask then dont get ****** because you get booted.

:eek:
J.J.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I don't think that the idea of getting kicked off upset him it was the manner in which it was done. If the landowner doesn't want someone to hunt then they have every right to tell someone to get off the land. However treating people with some dignity is something we all expect. He didn't break the law by going on unposted land and I'm guessing the farmer knew the law.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I think there's some pretty heavy stereotyping from both sides of this topic.

I've never had an experience like that and only have good things to say about the farmers I know. ALTHOUGH I've heard a lot of horror stories from them about slob hunters.

All the more reason to ask. IMO he could have been nicer when telling you to leave.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can assure you that my hunting partners and I are not slob hunters. We do not use the same tracks into the field, we pick up our shell casings, we do whatever any other responsible hunters do, so don't put us into that category. Until that law is passed about asking every farmer to hunt on their land, they should follow the regulations on posting their land properly. I might take it for granted sometimes that we can go anywhere if the land is not posted, but if available, I will ask the farmer before going out there. If I dont know who's land it is and its not posted, We are going to hunt on it and we shouldn't expect to get our ***** chewed out for doing nothing wrong. One case last year was when my buddy went on unposted land by Lake Darling. They were there a night before and saw that another group was scoping the land so they got up at 2:00 AM and set out their decoys. Well about 6:00 AM the other hunters arrived and saw that there were other hunters in their spot. They were friends of the farmer so they went to him and told him. Next thing you know the farmer raced out there in his pickup, ran over 5 of my friends bigfoots and put a shotgun in their face. His exact words were " Get off my land or I will f*cking kill you". He said that he didnt care that the land was unposted and told them to get off, which they did. They called the Sheriff and he said there was nothing they could do about it. For those of you who think it is all right for a farmer to do something like that must either be stupid or your one of them. The reason I wrote this is because we are responsible hunters and should be treated the way that we treat the landowners. So all of you guys who are telling me to bite my tongue about the issue dont know where Im coming from. People that have had that happen and that are ethical hunters know where Im coming from.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Sorry,
No Sympathy for you. Ask permission. You'll never have a problem. And you'll waste a lot less time. I don't buy the statement that you couldn't find the farmer either. Ask at the nearest farmhouse and he'll tell you who owns the land and where they live. If you hunt unposted land, as I sometimes do, be ready to be kicked off if the landowner desires....just say you're sorry....keep your mouth shut...and exit as soon as possible. Maybe he'll let you hunt the next time. If you talk back to him, you'll NEVER hunt there again.

As my first boss told me at my first sales position, "You'll catch many more flies with sugar than with vinegar". Sounds "corny" but it works time and time again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It seems that there are ******* farmers just like there are ******** in just about every group you encounter. I'll bet that there are some *** hunteres out there somewhere too. You guys don't know how good that you have it up there. Twenty dollars a gun? If that farmer had his capitol invested, how much would he make instead of using it to keep our food cheap and providing a place to enjoy the world. Man, what a wonderfull place to live when you can be genuinely surprized to meet one nut who is mean nasty. I envy you to live in a state with so many farmers. There is something about the acceptance of a lack of control over life which seems to make these people great. I wish we had more farmers here, most of our land is owned by large corporations who squeeze every dollar possible out of it. Its not about farmers just because you met a bad guy.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Danreg,

The sheriff couldn't do something about assult with a deadly weapon?

Shotgun to the face and a threat of death is one of the bigger felonys.

M.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know, thats what I said. He said as long as it was on his land there was nothing they could do about it. I was sitting right next to my friend when he made the call. It is fricken crazy what people can get away with!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.