North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas is 3.19 a gal and then there is a .04 discount if paid in cash here in North Fargo. Still not where is should be but it is nice to fill up for under 100.00 bucks now![/b]

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I am still paying $3.99.... When I was out west Diesel was at $4.37 one day, I filled up, the next at the same station it was $3.99... talk about a big difference. Thankfully my tank was empty again, so I got to fill up at $3.99! :lol:

It is odd how everything follows Fargo.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Still $3.49 in most places in Minot although the station across the street is at $3.39...
Its getting better.

Leo must be walking again.. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
$3.23.9 just south of Annapolis, MD. Fifteen miles south, where I live, it's still $3.64.9. MD has a zone system and sets floor prices and I live in a different zone than Annapolis.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
Atlanta has not had hardly any gas since the hurricane hit south Texas.

Gas has been between $4.50 and $8.00 per gallon for 87 octane and 9 out of 10 gas stations did not have any for the last three weeks, lines can be as long as a couple hours and many times the gas runs out prior to getting to the pump.

they say its going to get better in a couple weeks

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Bobm said:
Atlanta has not had hardly any gas since the hurricane hit south Texas.

Gas has been between $4.50 and $8.00 per gallon for 87 octane and 9 out of 10 gas stations did not have any for the last three weeks, lines can be as long as a couple hours and many times the gas runs out prior to getting to the pump.

they say its going to get better in a couple weeks
Man I should buy a tanker and fill up and drive it down there! Could make some serious cash!

·
1,405 Posts
I'm in Fargo 5 nights a week and have watched Fargo's prices go down quite a bit. I seems like every time Fargo goes down 10 cents, Devils Lake only goes down 5 right away and then the other nickel later in the week. We used to be about 20 cents different than Fargo and 10 cents from Forks, but we haven't even been close to that small of a span since gas started jumping so high. It actually did drop down to $3.49 today, but thats still 35 cents difference. I know it doesn't cost that much extra to truck it here, so it would be nice to know why there is such a difference.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i think the gas stations are doing some screwing also. how come it seems that prices on gas never used to seem so crazy do to hurricanes? we have had hurricanes since the begining of time. i think the whole country started to dance to someone elses tune since 9/11.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I'm back home for the weekend, just pulled into the drive way with the boat the same time my mom got back from town (Alexandria). First thing she said when she got out of the car was that she paid 2.99 a gal. for gas. She was stoked.

·
Registered
895 Posts
6162rk said:
i think the gas stations are doing some screwing also. how come it seems that prices on gas never used to seem so crazy do to hurricanes? we have had hurricanes since the begining of time. i think the whole country started to dance to someone elses tune since 9/11.
The stations aren't screwing anyone.

The exagerrated effects of natural disasters (especially in the Gulf) has alot to do with inventory management throughout the whole fuel supply system. Most points of "rest" in the supply system have had to transition to a just-in-time inventory philosophy due to the cost of that inventory. It is incredibly risky to own a large volume of a commodity as volatile as gas. In addition, even though gross prices are triple what they were a few short years ago, margins per gallon are unchanged (less than 10-cents per gallon typically), making it more difficult to cashflow as your replacement product is consistently higher priced than the product you're selling.

This is all in addition to the fact that we as a country are using much more gasoline than we did back in the day. Comparing total gallons of inventory throughout the country today to total gallons of inventory 10 years ago is comparing apples to grapefruits. Our rate of consumption is drastically higher so an equatable inventory volume is used up in a shorter period of time. A more accurate comparison is to look at "days of inventory", which we has consistently been creeping lower and lower over the last decade (again, adding to the extreme volatility).

If you want to blame someone for high gas prices, in smalls opinion, look no further than the incompetence that is the federal government. The obsession with keeping interest rates super-low (in order to fuel the housing market) the US Dollar was allowed to become incredibly weak, thus making our goods comparatively cheaper and inflating the values of commodities across the board. The dollar versus crude oil has had an absolute inverse relationship for the better part of 3 years now and the recent bear trend of crude has been the mirror opposite of (surprise, surprise) our dollar gaining a bit of relative strength to the rest of the world's rapidly inflating currencies.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts