North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
nemitz said:
What can be done regarding frost on decoys. Sat. morning we had heavy frost on our spread that seemed to make the birds not want to fully commit. Is there a remedy?
We hunt with Foots, Higdons, FA's and Pro-grades. They work just fine but Lil and I just happend to be talking about this vaery situation today. Has anyone ever tried a small blow torch to just burn the moisture off when the sun comes up? I am not talking about melting the plastic but use the torch similar to a blow drier on wet hair???

Should work as long as you are careful?

Anyone tried it?

-MV

· Registered
11,482 Posts
Matt Vanderpan said:
nemitz said:
What can be done regarding frost on decoys. Sat. morning we had heavy frost on our spread that seemed to make the birds not want to fully commit. Is there a remedy?
We hunt with Foots, Higdons, FA's and Pro-grades. They work just fine but Lil and I just happend to be talking about this vaery situation today. Has anyone ever tried a small blow torch to just burn the moisture off when the sun comes up? I am not talking about melting the plastic but use the torch similar to a blow drier on wet hair???

Anyone tried it?

-MV
You would be out there blow drying them till noon!

We have just dryed them off.

· Registered
5,114 Posts
Matt Vanderpan said:
nemitz said:

Anyone tried it?

-MV
I have one of those bigger torches for burning weeds, melting ice etc.. I have been tempted to try it sometime.

I would think a small blow torch would take forever. But the big wand torches might work.

· Registered
618 Posts
I have heard the torch method from several people and it is supposed to work well. We individually bag our decoys and if we think the frost is going to be thick, we will keep the bags on the dekes right up until the sun comes up. Frost always hits the hardest right at sunrise because the temperature hits its lowest at that point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.