North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning scouting and found several hundered mallards feeding in a field. Only problem is, they are feeding right next to the water they are sitting in. Kind of hard to hunt them that way. I found the geese I probably will hunt opening morning. The blue geese are still setting in the same area also. I believe I will go for the big honks in the morning and then hunt the mallard slough in the evening. Had to head north of Hamlet, several miles to find the water, but found some sloughs with water. They are very low. Not much for cover around the edges of the water. Mallard's really like water with cover. Found lots of coots in the big waters though. A few redheads and canvasbacks around, but not like in the past. I have a swan tag and only seen 6 swans on the swamp. Will be a tough year. Well gotta go sight in some rifles.

prairiehunter

·
Registered
13 Posts
thats bad that they are right next to the water. if ther was someway you could get about 100-200 yard away have somone scare them to you and just call.

also where do you live ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it is a lot of birds, Bump them off (dont make to much of a disturbance, don't shoot) then set up and hit them when they come back.
It's worth tha gamble, get your birds and head out and you maybe able to hunt the hole one more time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts