North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's good, what's useless, in the new fishfinders? Most of my experience comes from watching/using other folk's, and then mostly for finding depth and bottom structure. I'm thinking of sub $250 - I don't need color or GPS.
Brands? Features? Cone size? Tri-sensor systems? Displays?

What's good, what's not, for fishing North Dakota lakes & rivers?

Thanks
M.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Good mid range depthfinders are the garmin 160,lowrance X-85(or whatever they call that model these days).Most of the mid to lower end depth finders wont give the detail many serious anglers want,It all depends on what you are looking for.If you want to see walleyes 2" off of the bottom consistantly,you will have to go with a high pixel count and high watt unit such as the vexilar edge.If all you need to know is the depth you can get by with any unit and save a lot of money.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm looking to put my lure near more fish, and put more fish in the boat. I was hoping to find one that tells me more than depth. What features of mid-low level finders might actually help?

Can some models give me 2" separation? I thought most of them were boasting of 2.5' separation.

I believe the Garmin is the X-87 now. Does it offer anything more than the X-51, other than a bigger screen?
Is a flasher mode important to have?
For the same $$, are Garmin and Lowrance better than Eagle and Humminbird, and Bottomline?

I'm sure I can go wrong a lot of ways - I'd like to hear how not to go wrong.

M.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My X-85 has 4" of target sepparation I believe as does the garmin 160.For what you are looking for in a depthfinder these two units are as close to your price range as you are going to find.I really like the vexilar edge but it is too spendy as is the x-15.As for the other brands you mention in my opinion I have never liked hummingbird.I have had nothing but problems with them.Eagle is made by the same company as Lowrance and is basically a scaled down model of lowrance.Bottom line?Some people love them and some people hate them.The HR models that have 2"target sepparation run about 800.00$-over a 1000.00$.That is way to much money!

·
Registered
1 Posts
To bring up an old subject ....... has anyone used the newer Humminbirds? I've searched all over the net and the Humminbird Matrix line seems to have the most bang for the buck as far as the numbers are concerned. Higher resolution, wider cone, 2.5 inch separation, etc. etd.

I would like to know if it is all hype, or are they really that good for that price? I'm looking at the Humminbird Matrix 37 ($262) and Matrix 67 ($437). The trade off seems to be 90 degree cone with bare minimum GPS position location and navigation vs. 60 degree cone with built in GPS maps and charting.

Will be fishing the larger lakes such as Lake Powell, Flaming Gorge and any others I can find within reach.

DonM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts