North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is some good information on the stickys for new non-residents and also I searched the forum, but could not quite find the info...

I realize that posted signs would most of the time have a name and/or number, but if the land is not posted, what is the best way to find a landowner to ask permission.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

· Registered
1,372 Posts
Jeff,

The best way is with a plat book which you can purchase at www.greatplainsdirectory.com or www.midlandatlas.com

If you don't want to spend money on a plat book you can also find the same info out by going to the county courthouse.

You could also just stop into the nearest farm and ask them who owns the property in question.

Lastly if in ND and the land is not posted, you can hunt it without permission.

· Registered
2,332 Posts
I go to the nearest farm house and ask. If they don't own it, 99% of the time they know who does.

· Registered
182 Posts
Kind of on the subject, when you guys ask for permission, besides straight up asking for the permission do you normally provide any personal info to the farmer or ask for any specific info?

· Registered
1,330 Posts
I think you'll find that most college and university libraries and probably the larger public libraries have platt books with the landowners in them as well. I've had a few pages copied in the past. Might be worth a try too.

Good luck,
Dan

· Registered
1,372 Posts
hntnmn23 said:
Kind of on the subject, when you guys ask for permission, besides straight up asking for the permission do you normally provide any personal info to the farmer or ask for any specific info?
If it is someone that I do not know:

1. Introduce myself.

2. Tell them where I am from.

3. Tell them exactly what I am going to do, meaning what I will be hunting, how I will be hunting and who I will be hunting with.

4. I will ussually ask if anyone else has permission to hunt it. I like to know who and when for safety reasons and also to inform the landowner if I see any suspicious activity.

5. I will even offer to leave my name, address and phone number if they decide to change their mind or if they allow someone else to hunt it.

6. Last but not least, always be courtious even if they turn you down. Shake their hand and thank them for their time. Yeah, I know some people have a bad attitude and this has been tough to do at times, but they will hopefully treat the next person the way that you treated them.

· Registered
5,180 Posts
Knock on the nearest farmhouse, introduce yourself, tell them why you are there, ask permission, let them know where/when you'll be hunting, and thank them for their time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.