North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help from the experienced duck hunters. I was just in North Dakota this labor day weekend driving around to pick an area for my brother and I to hunt and I need a few questions answered.

1. When I find the land that I want to hunt on, how do I locate the land owner? I was told that they must put there name and phone number on the posting, but from what I see that is a rarity. And a farmer I talked with told me that some landowners have land that might be 25 miles from their home.

2. We were coming up on the 13th to hunt, but I was told to come up on the previous week if possible (it is). Will it be more crowded by us non-residents on the first week or will that make any difference. I won't be around the DL area if that helps.

3. This isn't a question. I just want to say that after avoiding ND for many years thinking it was some boring state (like most people's opinion of IA) I will be having to eat my hat. The Turtle Mountians are incredible and anyone reading this from out of state must make the trip up to that area some time

IAHunter

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
1) You can pick up Platt maps, or simply start knocking on doors nearby. 9 times out of 10, a landowner will know who owns the land neighboring theres and can point you in the right direction. There's no magic to this, just be prepared to talk to a lot of people. A good example was our spot for goose opener, we knocked on 5 doors and BSed with all of them for awhile before we finally found the right person to get permission.

2) I don't know if it matters what time you come in Oct. You're at the mercy of the migration and mother nature, so it's a gamble no matter what.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts