North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everybody im leaving sat morning for my annual hunt in nodak my question is do you feed your dogs the day before along trip i usually dont and when i get to nodak on sat evening ill feed before hunting sun morning what are your reccomendations thanks tabes

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I will feed normally before the journey because they will need that energy. Usually before loading them up and heading out I'll feed a couple hours before so they have a chance to start digesting and not chance a fresh fed upset stomach if they're prone to car sickness.

While you're up here hunting. I never feed in the morning and usually feed a bit heavier the evening before. If you're hunting the dog the entire day, very small portions a couple of times during down time would be ideal if necessary. You want to make sure the dog is almost done digesting the entire feeding before they're hunted so they have the most amount of those calories to use during the hunt.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I always feed at the normal times, even if it means stopping whereever we are in the trip when feeding time rolls around. I personally think it's very important not to alter this part of a gundog's routines...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.