North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
This really depends on where I am fishing. My favorite presentation on Sakakawea would have to be pulling cranks. It just doesnt get any better than Deepwater Bay, or Shell Island, when the walleyes are on, and you pull cranks.

Since moving from Minot to Fargo, I have had to change my fisheries. Now, the little Minnesota lakes are more of a challenge. I have found that on the opener, the best rig to use is a plain hook and shinner, or a jig tipped with a shinner. I actually find the best part of the opener being the actual netting of shinners, i have always hated paying 3.50 a dozen for those little fish.

I dont even think I can name my favorite. As I am typing, I keep thinking of another great way that I love to catch walleyes, I could type for hours. I better stop.

[ This Message was edited by: muskat on 2002-03-06 13:25 ]

·
Registered
603 Posts
I guess I haven't found the right lake in Minnesota for cranks yet. Tried it many times and I also have caught a ton of "slough sharks." I like that term, havent ever heard it before. But I also like to pickle pike, so it isnt a total loss, except when it comes time to clean those slimy snakes.

I like the lindy rig also, good feel.

One other way I love to approach wally's. Lake Audubon in the spring, right after the ice out. Landing #2 is a little bay, and I have a nice spot of shoreline that I like to set up a few rods. It probably is the most enjoyable time I have fishing for wally's. The method we use is again plain hook, tipped with a fathead. Just toss that out as far as Ye can, open the bail, put a shotgun shell on the tip of rod and wait. When you hear a 'plink' you know you are in business. See, the shoreline is all rocks, and when the the fish takes line out, the shotgun shell pops off and hits the groud, hence the 'plink.'

What makes this even better is that you bring firewood, cook as you catch, maybe have a few refreshments, and camp out. One of the best fishing adventures a bunch of friends can ever have.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Chris,
Thanks for the tip. I do have a lake cabin on Ottertail, but everyone knows, after the spring bite, Ottertail is good for only cigars. I will have to give the reports a good once over and see if I can find something that catches my eye.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.