North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With deep Fall right around the corner, I switch tunes and listen too alot of oldies. When I was younger and hunted with my dad every weekend, thats all we would listen too. So whenever these songs come on, it sets me in fall gear.

Just wondering what some of your favorite 50's,60's, and 70's songs are
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,898 Posts
USSapper said:
With deep Fall right around the corner, I switch tunes and listen too alot of oldies. When I was younger and hunted with my dad every weekend, thats all we would listen too. So whenever these songs come on, it sets me in fall gear.

Just wondering what some of your favorite 50's,60's, and 70's songs are
Too many to list, but I switch to oldies in the fall for the exact same reason. Funny how these songs can take me right back there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
T Shot said:
USSapper said:
With deep Fall right around the corner, I switch tunes and listen too alot of oldies. When I was younger and hunted with my dad every weekend, thats all we would listen too. So whenever these songs come on, it sets me in fall gear.

Just wondering what some of your favorite 50's,60's, and 70's songs are
Too many to list, but I switch to oldies in the fall for the exact same reason. Funny how these songs can take me right back there.
i hear you guys, i remember when I was younger. my ol' man would take us out to his hometown of hebron nd, I still remember drving in the dark and dozing off to the oldies on the am radio. "Everytime I hear those songs i go back" (keney chesney)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
I don't know if this is considered Oldies or not, but lately I have been listening to old country. I have my pickup radio set on 1590 AM The Rooster. They play some new country but some older stuff like Cash, Kenny Rodgers, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and so on.

It really ticks off the wife when she hears it but thats kind of like a little bonus. :lol:

Normally I listen to either country or classic rock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,164 Posts
I love the oldies..........some of my best memories were being at the lake with my my family and having dad control the radio. A lot of Solid Gold on the AM dial.

I love Herman's Hermits !! Peter Noone is great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
That's almost all I listen to year round. Music nowdays is terrible...

Jimi Hendrix
Rolling Stones
Aerosmith
AC DC
Bob Dylan
Willie Nelson
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
CCR
Tom Petty
Lynyrd Skynard
Allman Brothers
THE DOORS (Jim Morrison is a god)

It wasn't actually anybody that got me into this music, I just kind of got in it on my own. Large part to KQRS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,006 Posts
mnbirdhunter said:
It wasn't actually anybody that got me into this music, I just kind of got in it on my own. Large part to KQRS
I am originaly from New Prague, MN and I am 1 month older then KQRS! I used to love the music. Imagine my horror when I returned home from oversea's once to discover that they were not an 'oldies' station and were playing the same music as they did when I listened to it! :eek:

Ha, guess I am getting old!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
19,688 Posts
Those are oldies???? :eek:

I don't remember the names of any of the songs, but I remember Rosemary Clooney, Count Basie, and Artie Shaw. People like Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, and Frank Sinatra were young punks. I didn't like any of them. They played some songs between Amos and Andy, the Lone Ranger, and grain prices. :D You had to buy this big red battery and put in about every six months. No FM, but we had a big antenna and could pick up shortwave on our radio. Boy were we excited when one of the rich neighbors got a TV. :D

Oh, I almost forgot if it was a real calm summer evening and you went outside sometimes you could hear Jimmy Littleghost, ????? Greyfeather, ???? Ironheart and some of the other guys on drums up at Ft. Totten. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
honkerslayr said:
To me I remember talk radio when i was younger a lot more than oldies, when I'd hunt with dad. That will definetely put you to sleep when your young now I kind of listen to it myself.
Talk radio was always for the drive home....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
Plainsman said:
Oh, I almost forgot if it was a real calm summer evening and you went outside sometimes you could hear Jimmy Littleghost, ????? Greyfeather, ???? Ironheart and some of the other guys on drums up at Ft. Totten. :D
Plainsman

Cool seeing those names. I ran cross country in HS against a Littleghost kid from Fort Totten and remember the good Ironheart who just finished BB up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
Leo Porcello said:
I have 6 or 7 Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash CDs I listen too!
Yep, a little "sunday morning coming down" sounds great in the fall season. 8)

I'll have to add some Hank (and not the kid either) and a little Hag to that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
:withstupid:

A little stranglehold by uncle ted is always a good mood setter when out in the country.

I used to listen to hank jr all the time when out hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
Plainsman said:
Those are oldies???? :eek:
I was thinking the same thing. I remember listening to the oldies into the early morning hours, while hauling beets into Wahpeton. Here are a couple of my favorites, Rick Nelson, Blood Sweat & Tears, The Tokens and the Everly Brothers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Boy you guys are a bunch of teeny boppers.

How about folks like Jo Stafford, the Mcguire sisters, Roy Hamilton singing my all time favorite song, Unchained Melody. Quite a few years later redone by the Rightous Brothers and a few years later again re:introduced by Leann Rhimes.

Other favorites, Perry Como, Dean Martin, Frankie Lane, der Bingo,

Groups, The Four Aces, The Lettermen, The Hilltoppers, The Platters.

Back to the hot chicks, Kitty Kallen and North Dakotas own, Peggy Lee.

And I must pay homage to my home state, Ohio. A few mile stretch of the Ohio river produced such great singers as Doris Day, Rosie Clooney, Margo Smith, Connie Smith, and Johnny Ace, Pledging My Love, and the artist David Alan Coe who redid the song a few years ago.

And Lord forgive me for all the great ones I forgot. It does not diminish their greatness.

Best wishes, Bill
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top