North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a decent duck day here in central NoDak. Bagged a couple of full plumage, cotton-top (for North Dakota, that is) drake widgeons. They are an awesome bird. I used to say that a buck pintail was my favorite bird. Now I'm not so sure. Whenever I see one of those white heads, I hit the whistle and try to pick one out over the spread. Other than the obvious drake wood duck, what's your favorite looking duck in the bag?

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can guess what my favorite drake is!! :lol:...Banded Woodie taken during a walk along the river bottoms in north eastern North Dakota...Unreal! :eek: ...I love hunting these guys!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I can't choose just one, they all have their own attributes.

However, I do really enjoy it when I'm fortunate enough to get a Can. There's just so few of them around and so much history around that particular duck that they do kind of have that certain mystique.

Although on most days I'm gunnin' for greenies and sprig...although I do like a nice drake wigeon for that odd bird in the limit...as well as wood ducks. Goldeneyes are also pretty cool...

...like I said, I can't pick just one. :p

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hands Down the finest looking, most regal of drakes is the Greenwing Teal. Coming soon to a half frozen SE ND slough near you.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
My personal fav is the drake blue-wing teal. Never shot one but seen a lot in the spring. Maybe some day I'll hike up my skirt and go down south to shoot one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts