North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Snuffers! I once again was made a believer this weekend when it blew through one rib, blew out two on the far side, pulled back in and totalled the insides! May not be the best head shooting over 40 yards, but man does it wreck a deer!

My .02! Have yet to have one get away with them!

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Muzzy mx3's---I liked the original muzzy's a lot, but the mx3's really group tight over forty and smash through bone. I shot a doe last year at thirty yards, the muzzy went through both shoulders and stuck in the ground---no significant damage to the blades--Im sold.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I love the 3 blade Rage broadheads. I shot a doe this year and didn't hit any vitals, I shot just under the heart and she bled out within 75 yards and the arrow stuck in the ground pretty deep. Those broadheads are devistating and they fly perfect, I never had to readjust my bow to shoot them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Starting out you can't go wrong with a muzzy or wasp and you get 6 of them for 30-35 bucks and they've been around forever!
Magnus is also a good head and they have a LIFETIME WARRANTY.
I shoot the rocky gator xp, have been for 15 years. I like that there are no rubber bands, rear deploying and I really like the 2" cut "deer don't thou" most drop within 50 yds. And they always fly like my field points even out to 80 yds. Made by the same company as rage but 1/2 the price through bass pro shops.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also shoot the rage 3 blade i am not completly convinced yet this is my first year shooting them. They do fly perfect but i shot a monster eight and it took alittle while for him to start pumpin i really thought i wasnt gonna find the deer at first, and i smoked him. But when he started bleeding it was ALOT of blood. Now my buddy shoots the 2 blades and i have seen the deer he has shot and all i can say is WOW.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I shoot both Shuttle T-Lock and Slick Trick 100 grain heads. The Shuttle T's fly a little better and shoot EXACTLY like my field points. The Slick Tricks can be re-sharpened. I have had great success with both and highly recommend either one.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
goatboy said:
Here is my question! When you shoot a deer and don't get a pass through how well does that head cut when the deer reaches back to pull it out!

I have yet to loose a deer with a fixed blade, I have tracked many deer with expandables and honestly I have never seen one recovered. This is the reason I don't hunt with those guys anymore. I was sick of putting them on big deer and watching them wound them. :eyeroll:

How many guys shoot whitetails over 40 yards? IMO shooting a fixed that may not shoot quite as good as an expandable is worth the little bit of flight that is lost.

I am guessing 95% of us kill our deer under 20 yards!

Me jumping off my soap box!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
hunt4P&Y said:
goatboy said:
Here is my question! When you shoot a deer and don't get a pass through how well does that head cut when the deer reaches back to pull it out!

I have yet to loose a deer with a fixed blade, I have tracked many deer with expandables and honestly I have never seen one recovered. This is the reason I don't hunt with those guys anymore. I was sick of putting them on big deer and watching them wound them. :eyeroll:

How many guys shoot whitetails over 40 yards? IMO shooting a fixed that may not shoot quite as good as an expandable is worth the little bit of flight that is lost.

I am guessing 95% of us kill our deer under 20 yards!

Me jumping off my soap box!
Im betting alot more guys than you think are taking shots at "extended ranges". Thats why they feel the need to have perfect broadhead flight out to obscene yardages. The other reason is nobody knows how to pick a properly spined arrow for their setup.

Im with you though. Why chance it with a broadhead that may or may not deploy its blades, that may or may not have blades sheared off when it hits bone, that may or may not deploy halfway to the target throwing the arrow off its intended course?

My magnus' fly PERFECT out to 60 yards, which is plenty far for me, even on western game like mulies and goats. If your having problems getting broadheads to fly (which is im guessing why most choose mechanicals) maybe you should look at your shaft instead of your broadhead choice.

The whole purpose of bowhunting is having to get close to your target, so why does everybody want to be shooting at 40-50-60 yards? I personaly dont care how good a shot you are, nobody should be shooting whitetails much beyond 35 yards as their just so reactive to the shot noise.

Now IM off my soapbox. :D

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Very well said!

I hunt with a kid that shoots all the time out at sandhills out to 100 yards, he is a great shot. He took a goat at a long range this year, I can't remember exactly I want to say like 80 or so. Double lung pumper shot!

A month later he wounded a very large whitetail that jumped the string at 5-8 yards. Ended up wounding it. Talk about a big difference in yardage.

It all comes down to how alert they are!

Personally I like to shoot them when they are sleeping! It is a great way to ensure you make a great shot! Even though you take out both lungs and cut the top of there heart they still run 2 miles, and like like 4 hours..... don't know how!

I am 100% with you on the challenge of archery! It is what makes it the only True hunting! :lol:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I can't believe there has been 12 responses and no votes for Thunderheads !! :eek:

I have shot 125's @ 230 plus fps from 2 different bows and 85's @ 290 plus fps from 2 bows and all 4 set-ups would group the broadheads with field points, so I have never bought into the mechanical "rage" (pun intended)...but I have helped rage shooters track their deer. But that's all we found....tracks, I mean. :wink:

I shoot only 85 grains now, and killed 2 does last week with them and watched both fall. Will blast through any bone I've encountered on a deer, and in fact broke the off-side leg bone completely in two just below the shoulder on one 200 pound buck at just over 35 yards a few years ago.

At the risk of offending some here, mechanicals are for advanced archers under ideal conditions, because I do NOT believe you will find a deer you accidentally hit in the shoulder with a mechanical. And even if advanced, hunting being what it is and knowing how well fixed blade heads can shoot from a properly tuned bow, I see no reason to use mechanicals.

A deer shot in the shoulder is no problem for a quality, fixed blade head.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Personally, I love Magnus 2 blades. They are accurate, deadly, resharpenable, penetrate like mad, affordable (around $28 a half dozen, rather than $30+ for three), have a lifetime warranty.

Last night using a 100 grain Magnus 2 blade from her 45# Matthews, my wife got a clean pass through double lung on a huge bodied buck at 18 yards. Chopped a rib in two exiting the off side, and the arrow was found sticking in the ground. We followed a massive blood trail 30 yards to her buck which had died in seconds.

The Magnus was none the worse for wear. I'll simply have to slightly re-shape the chisel point I put on them with a file (must have hit a rock in the ground after passing through), resharpen it, and that Magnus will be ready to fill some doe tags.

The buck, BTW, was a pretty typical 4 point for around here that would normally go around 115-118, but because he was fully mature and had good chow all Summer he had unreal base to tip mass that took him up to 127 & change gross/around 123 net. Probably the most impressive mid-120's buck I've ever seen...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Speaking of Magnus...ran into a buddy today who shoots them, and he showed me 2 vertebraes (spelling?) from his nov 9th buck that someone had shot with what appears to be a NAP Spitfire. His spine had grown around the opened blades, and he appeared to be perfectly healthy. No worse for wear. If the first shooter had a Magnus or a Thunderhead (or Muzzy, etc.) the buck would be on HIS wall right now instead of sitting in a taxidermists freezer !

I want to post the pic to a new thread but I cannot figure out how to do it.

Any help?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.