North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every fall for the last 3 years I have noticed a mass exodus of ducks about this time of year from my usual hunting areas. There wasn't near the birds around we had been seeing all season. I'm not sure if they are that smart or if they are moving to find better roosting area's. Its not like they move a few miles either they move out of the area. With the geese that have been moving that last few days its no suprise they move, but where do they go, anybody notice an influx of ducks?

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
A lot of the ducks here in the summer are small ducks.....teal,spoonies,ruddies,etc.They usually migrate out early......they are already shooting them in Texas and Louisana.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Where are you located? Here in the great state of MN, early goose hunting on water relocated a ton of birds. I've watched several bodies of water hold a couple hundred ducks until the early goose opener......then........gone...and they never come back. ONe particular slough had possibly 4-500 ducks using it regularly. There isn't a one left on it Since the 6th.......not a single one. Here in MN that is what contributes to our early exodus.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think you ansered your own question... hunting pressure/disturbance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Devils Lake, ND

There has been absolutely no water hunting, the honks have been getting pressured the past few weeks but they are still hanging around, if anything we've added a bunch, lots of high fliers lately. Where do they go, Canada, SD. NWR's south of DL?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't know, but I have been noticing the same thing here about 60 mi south of you. They really wouldn't have any reason to migrate, But I really think the ones that were raised here move south with all of the other species of early migrants for some reason. There is little early goose pressure on the water to push them out, and plenty of food sources? I really don't shoot a hole lot of mallards here the first couple weeks of season more gadwalls then anything, although I always see a bunch of mallards until about right now.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say these birds are moving because of decreasing amount of daylight... aka photoperiod. This is actually the biggest mover of migratory animals.

Some ducks are affected by it more than others, this is where we get the term "calender ducks." Its not just coincidence that there are big movements of waterfowl at certain times of year, regardless of weather or hunting pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts